GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: More trans issues.

Default More trans issues.

Ok, so apparently I have two cars with trans problems. Interesting.

Anyway, on my 90' with the zf 4hp22, the fluid level is always perfect, trans has never slipped or chattered, missed a shift, etc. PERFECT (for an auto, at least) Fluid is always bright, clear red and sweet smelling.

This morning, I make a u-turn and it chatters like the tires were breaking loose, but it obviously wasn't the tires. I had to reverse real quick, popped it in reverse, back to drive - hesitated to go into gear, then when I gave it some gas, it kind of stuttered like it wasn't in gear and was fine. I didn't feel comfortable driving it so I made a u-turn once again to park it in front of my house and there was more chattering.

What causes this? I heard that low ATF fluid can cause this, but maybe I'm checking the fluid wrong because the dipstick shows "overfull" but it has always been right on and the car hasn't had an atf service in 15,000 or so miles and it hasn't been to any shops recently. The fluid now has a VERY SLIGHT burned smell to it.

Is a trans service recommended at this point or will I do more harm than good? I'm worried about the poor thing. Time to drive the good ol' e39 which also has a trans issue... 3 bmws, 3 wierd transmissions.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Is the proper method of checking the 4hp22 with the engine off or the engine on?

It makes a drastic difference in fluid level and I suppose that the proper way to do it is with the engine running. Am I correct?

It may not be your trans, LSD's will chatter on tight turns if they have the wrong fluid.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Hypr5
    Ok, so apparently I have two cars with trans problems. Interesting.

Anyway, on my 90' with the zf 4hp22, the fluid level is always perfect, trans has never slipped or chattered, missed a shift, etc. PERFECT (for an auto, at least) Fluid is always bright, clear red and sweet smelling.

This morning, I make a u-turn and it chatters like the tires were breaking loose, but it obviously wasn't the tires. I had to reverse real quick, popped it in reverse, back to drive - hesitated to go into gear, then when I gave it some gas, it kind of stuttered like it wasn't in gear and was fine. I didn't feel comfortable driving it so I made a u-turn once again to park it in front of my house and there was more chattering.

What causes this? I heard that low ATF fluid can cause this, but maybe I'm checking the fluid wrong because the dipstick shows "overfull" but it has always been right on and the car hasn't had an atf service in 15,000 or so miles and it hasn't been to any shops recently. The fluid now has a VERY SLIGHT burned smell to it.

Is a trans service recommended at this point or will I do more harm than good? I'm worried about the poor thing. Time to drive the good ol' e39 which also has a trans issue... 3 bmws, 3 wierd transmissions.

any help is greatly appreciated.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

The fluid level should be checked with the engine running and the transmission in park. With the engine off (at least in my experience) the level will show way high. HOpefully you just sprung a leak.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    The fluid level should be checked with the engine running and the transmission in park. With the engine off (at least in my experience) the level will show way high. HOpefully you just sprung a leak.
    Thanks!

I checked the fluid with it running and it was a few mm below the first mark. I added about 1/2 pint and it shows overfull now. I don't understand this. 90% of the chattering around a u-turn is gone, now though - and the delay to shift into D is gone.

interesting.

The u-turn probably caused the chattering because the fluid level was low and when cornering tightly, the fluid moved to one side of the transmission, starving some parts of fluid. Just a theory.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    The u-turn probably caused the chattering because the fluid level was low and when cornering tightly, the fluid moved to one side of the transmission, starving some parts of fluid. Just a theory.
    The slight chatter you can still sense will proly smoothen out over time. I'd get in and do a fluid change on your Dexron III, Drive about 2500 miles and then change to Castrol Transmax Z over the next 2 changes. This does good things for old trannies... If the chatter is your LSD, maybe someone put the wrong oil in it or maybe they just do this by design - I haven't got one yet so don't yet know
    Last edited by genphreak; 02-06-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!