GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What other diag tool/software do you guys use besides peake reader?

Default What other diag tool/software do you guys use besides peake reader?

I have the fault code reader but wonder if there's something more thorough I could buy used to do a more comprehesive diag than only reading fault codes.

I figure for the cost of having a service shop put it on a machine multiple times for the 3 BMW's I have over serveral years I could put 1/2 that expense into a used tool that I could use anytime, right?

What do you guys think or do you have any ideas about this type of comprhesive tool(s) for less than $500?

No such animal, except maybe Carsoft or whatever it's called, with which I have no experience.

http://www.diagnos.co.uk

Faster and, in many ways, better than the current generation DIS tools. With continuously updated software and unparalleled tech support. All for the respectable price of 10 grand US.

The next best thing would probably be a Modic III, which the dealers stopped using a few years ago and has software support up to the E65/66. There was a diagnostic head ALONE (this is usually configured as a wireless system -- the head connects to the OBDII or round connectors on the car), with no actual modic III unit, on eBay recently for $1500.

There are lots of others -- Baum Tool has a scanner, Snap-On's modis (don't know how good the BMW interface is, but they're guaranteed to have a chip), none of which are really in the DIY budget unless you're going to subsidize the unit cost by selling readings to the people in your local CCA chapter.

best, whit

the snap on modis is still around $4k used, you can probably step into a snap on mt2500 with a bmw cartrage in the $500 range if you shop around on ebay, i run a 2500 and so does the guy i work with, it's decent on the 88-90 cars and only gets better the later the bmw is, on the 97 and up cars i can even read the positions of the ac/heater flaps
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Is there any software that could be used on a regular notebook pc that is connected to the car via an interface cable?
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

I found out (on the internet) that Carsoft Software Help section shows just a straight cable between the 20 pin connector and an RS232 serial port, no circuit in-between for OBD, as shown in this pic.

I just use BMW (and other makes) OBD software from EBay on an old laptop (very few modern laptops have an RS232 serial port).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Default A Mechanic's Stethoscope

And a few beers.

Finds the stuff that the OBCs don't pick up.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........