GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Looking to Buy 1994 525i what should I look for?

Default Looking to Buy 1994 525i what should I look for?

I am looking at buying a 94 525i with 87,000 miles and am courious as to any problems to look for? Does the 525i have a timing belt or chain? How often do the valves need to be adjusted? Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!
    Thanks,
    MD-11 Driver

Quote Originally Posted by MD-11 Driver
    I am looking at buying a 94 525i with 87,000 miles and am courious as to any problems to look for? Does the 525i have a timing belt or chain? How often do the valves need to be adjusted? Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!
    Thanks,
    MD-11 Driver
    Why don't you a student pilot for a spin in your MD-11 and I'll let you test drive my '94 525i? :-)

Seriously, I just bought one not 3 weeks ago. This is what I've found so far:

1) CD player not working. The 6-disc changer is in the trunk. Make sure you pop in a CD and test it out before buying. Replacement units run in the hundreds.
    2) Driver's side rear window. The mechanism pops out of the track and the window doesn't go up and down properly. Theoretically this is equally likely on any window. From reading various threads around here (and my own experience today) the design is a bit on the cheap side. Dissapointing for BMW, of course.
    3) Flex disc showing cracks. The flex disc is a piece of hardy rubber that connects the drive shaft to the transmission output yoke. The E34 has a differential mounted to the body, so the drive shaft doesn't move as much as in the case of a solid rear axle. I don't think the flex disc itself is a major expense, but it is labor intensive to get to it (you need to drop the exhaust). Ditto for the starter - you have to pop off the intake manifold to get at it.

The M50 engine (the one in the 525i) has a timing chain, as it is equipped with the VANOS, or variable valve timing. This allows for simultaneous opening of both intake and exhaust valves in mid-range RPM's. For that reason I don't think you'll find an EGR valve anywhere on the motor. Not sure about the valve adjustment, I defer to the pros around here. I haven't seen a valve lash procedure posted anywhere for the M50.

Lastly, maintenance, maintenance, maintenace. If the previous owner was slack, you'll have more problems than if he or she was not. Fluids (ALL of them - p/s, coolant, brake, transmission) should have been replaced every 2 years.

Hope this helps you out. Sorry if I'm a bit long-winded.
    Wolfpack

1994 525i
    Eastern NC

M50 has a timing chain and requires no valve adjustments.

Check for shaking at 55-60 mph, overheating, check that the windows, A/c and power seats work, and check the tranmission. It should shift smoothly, and go into gear as soon as you move the shift lever ... if there is hesitation, it might have a problem (this if it's automatic). Other than that, there isn't much to look for.

There's a list of 'things that will break' on www.bmwe34.net Is this your first E34? For me the most annoying part of E34 ownership is the door trims coming away from the backing boards and the erratic electronic display. A '94 model shouldn't have the dash problem though. Forget miles and look for a full service history and signs of a caring owner. If it's a private sale have a look at the guys house. If it's schmick it's a good indication of how he treats his cars. Good luck.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MD-11 Driver
    Thanks,
    MD-11 Driver
    What I had to replae almost right away was the control arms and sway bar links. The Rear bumper was also shot so I had to get a new one and have it painted. Have a qualified mechanic do a check list for you and have them identify any problem areas (valve gasket leak for example) then price out repairs before you have them done. If thety are recommending major repairs, post those repairs here first and get everyone's feedback. You can get parts from some guys here as well as some really good mechanical advice. The only thing I would do different with my purchase is looking for a E34 with lower miles, which is exactly what you have occomplished.

Welcome and good luck!

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine