GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Later M62 into E34 540?

Default Later M62 into E34 540?

The M5 engine swap thread got me thinking, what is involved in swapping a late M62 into a E34 540? They had up to 340 HP, and are pretty common in the X5 and 540. Something like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

I know from a size standpoint it would fit, how hard would it be to integrate with the E34 electricals, and get the VANOS, etc to work? Just curious, the good ole Nikasil is still going strong, but someday...........
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

The M62 is an OBD II motor.

arent the later engines 6 cyl?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

arent the later engines 6 cyl?
    what you talkin bout willis.
    530 5 series are sixes even now,some markets had a 3.5 v8 and the 4.4 v8 in the e39,the e60 530 is a six and the 545 is the v8,now 5.0 ....dont think there is anything between 530 and 550 now (not counting the diesels )
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 02-05-2006 at 03:27 AM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The M62 is an OBD II motor.
    Is that the biggest hurdle? Wouldn't adding two O2 sensors to your system solve that? I'd be interested in how you get around the factory stability/traction control, anti theft, etc. I know this stuff can be done, there's people putting S54s into E30s and E36s.

Maybe just swap a set of Webers on top and be done.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

if you don't get a vanos motor just bolt all of your wiring and brackets to it and you are done, i've not screwed with a vanos v8 on a close personal level yet other then smoking the tires off of one, the non vanos m62 e38 740s are a lot faster then the first year e38s that came with a m60

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    Is that the biggest hurdle? Wouldn't adding two O2 sensors to your system solve that? I'd be interested in how you get around the factory stability/traction control, anti theft, etc. I know this stuff can be done, there's people putting S54s into E30s and E36s.

Maybe just swap a set of Webers on top and be done.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I was eyeing the late ones that have 340 HP. I think they were in the X5 though, that may cause more difficulties.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

From my understanding the later E34 B10s used a modified 4.4 V8 subsequently used in the X5. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Interesting. We don't get much info on the Alpinas, since we get screwed out of them on this side of the pond.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    The M5 engine swap thread got me thinking, what is involved in swapping a late M62 into a E34 540? They had up to 340 HP, and are pretty common in the X5 and 540. Something like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

I know from a size standpoint it would fit, how hard would it be to integrate with the E34 electricals, and get the VANOS, etc to work? Just curious, the good ole Nikasil is still going strong, but someday...........
    One thing to think about is swapping just the short block of the 4.4L and using the heads and everything connected to that from the donor e34 540i. Then get a piggy back computer or a custom burned chip if needed. So the fitment as well as the electronics should be the same as stock. Just another route to think about.
    Brandon J