GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: what do i need to know to pick up a replacement stock amplifier for my car?

Default what do i need to know to pick up a replacement stock amplifier for my car?

i don't have a parts car to get another unit out of...but vines makes it sound like all i have to do is find a unit with the same color and shape plugs from an e32 or e34 and swap units, even if the part number is different. i've found another unit on ebay that has the same shaped plugs as mine, but has a different part number. i know that a number of companies made the amps (like blaupunkt, alpine, et cetera), but mine says "assembled in the USA", which leads me to believe that it might be an oddball (would assume blaupunkt=germany or france, alpine=japan). can anyone enlighten me? thanks in advance.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

you gotta 91-92 right? anything e32/34 up to about 93 outta work around 94 they started with a different smaller amp, the only one to look out for that will plug in and not work right that i 've seen is varly rare, i tried a amp from a 92 750il with the infinity set up but the crossover was way different and the stereo harmonics were strange, about half way home it was making me not feel to good and my head hurt (sound waves can do strange things to your inner ear) no it wasn't that loud! turned the radio off and all got better
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

i feel bad when i type a question out, and, as i finish typing it, i realise that you are likely the one whose going to answer it.

i owe you money.
    i mean actual, physical money.

yeah, car was born 7/91. the unit im looking at (IIRC) is a 89 or 90 525i. ill look at the amp in the daylight and make sure i know which one it is. the poor tag just fell off when i unbolted the unit. the "date sold" part is faded off. i love the language its written in...Please Observe! germans can be cute.

thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

if you can't score one locally i can probably dig one up from the pile
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Have you considered the economics of crossovers and a new head unit (that has a built in amp) vs buying a factory amp?
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

im not big on car stereos, so i don't know about doing the crossover deals in a car with an integral amp.

economics wise....the cost of the most basic headunit i'd be willing to put in my car is a $100 JVC affair. the amp is far less than that. i'd really like to have a cd player up there, but would like the colors to match the bmw orange, and i can't seem to find one that does that isn't at least $200 or so. my cd changer has been sitting inside since 09/2004, so i've been considering buying a cd player, but, then again.....the cost thing. i would like a new bmw tape deck for the car (the buttons are scratched), but when everything is added up, a tape deck=50, amp=50 or so, and i already have a cd player=$100, less than the cost of a headunit.

uggghhh
    if somebody could tell me that, by changing the headunit alone, that i would experience a significant improvement in sound quality, i might do it. i like sound quality, and if it would bring things in the car closer to "headphone" quality..it makes it a hell of a lot more attractive to me. but im apprehensive about car audio stuff (i don't dabble/know about it), and perhaps that's why i want to keep things stock.