GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Tranny or sensor or maybe something else?

Default Tranny or sensor or maybe something else?

Just purchased a 90' 535i, the tranny hasn't been shifting properly have video but don't know how to post it. It also has a damaged front bumper, it has a pair of e46 wheels in back and originals up front, headliner's colapsing, and other interior problems. The car is also as dirty as a junk yard dog, it was sitting in a shop for 3 or 4 months. hopefully someone can help me post the vid (wmv) so the forum can check it out. The tranny goes 1-2-revs high to 3 and no 4. That's my biggest concern.

Funny, my tranny problems on my 1990 535 are almost exactly the same. Started out with no problems excpet reverse was non-exsistant but after a service reverse works (mobst of the time) and the slipping high reving prob is the same. After it goes to into 4th though,I have noticed it does not rev too high, like it has grip in the gear. It is very frustrating driving along at 1500rpm, you go to accelerate, the rpms jump to 2800 - 3000 before you get any power. I think a rebuild is in order for both these problems.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

Bimminator Guest

Default I had similar problems last summer

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerDude
    Just purchased a 90' 535i, the tranny hasn't been shifting properly have video but don't know how to post it. It also has a damaged front bumper, it has a pair of e46 wheels in back and originals up front, headliner's colapsing, and other interior problems. The car is also as dirty as a junk yard dog, it was sitting in a shop for 3 or 4 months. hopefully someone can help me post the vid (wmv) so the forum can check it out. The tranny goes 1-2-revs high to 3 and no 4. That's my biggest concern.
    sometimes it wouldn't shift into 4th. I would drive for like 15-20 min. and then all of a sudden it would shift into 4th, and then shift fine for a few days and then act up again. I ended up just doing a tranny swap as this was going to be the cheapest option. The tranny shop strongly suspected a problem with the valves but the cost was going to be $1500.00 Can. just to take it apart and have a look. Likely close to $3000.00 by the time it was fixed. I located a salvaged tranny that had about 150,000 kms less than mine from a realiable source for $400.00. Befor you do anything that costs lots of doe, I would recommend doing a complete drain and fill and screen replacement see if that helps (helped me for about 3 weeks before problem returned). In the mean time start looking for tranny to swap in.

Good luck! Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Bimminator
    sometimes it wouldn't shift into 4th. I would drive for like 15-20 min. and then all of a sudden it would shift into 4th, and then shift fine for a few days and then act up again. I ended up just doing a tranny swap as this was going to be the cheapest option. The tranny shop strongly suspected a problem with the valves but the cost was going to be $1500.00 Can. just to take it apart and have a look. Likely close to $3000.00 by the time it was fixed. I located a salvaged tranny that had about 150,000 kms less than mine from a realiable source for $400.00. Befor you do anything that costs lots of doe, I would recommend doing a complete drain and fill and screen replacement see if that helps (helped me for about 3 weeks before problem returned). In the mean time start looking for tranny to swap in.

Good luck! Shawn
    Well someone also suggested it could be a solenoid or maybe valve body, bmwe34.net said something about the pulse gen. for the speed sensor. If any of those I can take care of. If not I might just end up swaping not paying for a rebuild. Is not there a way to post or show all my video, for tranny help and other suggestions.

Thanks,
    BimmerDude.