GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Introducing Myself =)

Default Just Introducing Myself =)

Hello guys! I just wanted to introduce myself and my car of course =) My name is Jason and I live in Central NJ and am the current owner of a formally abused 1994 530i (e34). At the moment I have an EAT chip I ordered from Mark on the way as well as a short shift kit I purchased elsewhere. I'm planning on throwing on 4 new yokohamas when the money comes around, and this Tuesday the car will be at Circle BMW getting the EVAP unit checked out and some other things as well.

I have a few quick questions for you all as well if you could spare a few moments.

1.) On the right front of my car the bumper has dropped maybe an inch or so, is this something I could fix by merely adjusting a bolt etc? (I do have the bentley manual)

2.) My back right window will go down pretty much all the way, but cant make it up. The motor sounds fine and it does go down more or less properly, is it that the window is probably just off the track?

Many thanks, this is an awesome community =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar
    Hello guys! I just wanted to introduce myself and my car of course =) My name is Jason and I live in Central NJ and am the current owner of a formally abused 1994 530i (e34). At the moment I have an EAT chip I ordered from Mark on the way as well as a short shift kit I purchased elsewhere. I'm planning on throwing on 4 new yokohamas when the money comes around, and this Tuesday the car will be at Circle BMW getting the EVAP unit checked out and some other things as well.

I have a few quick questions for you all as well if you could spare a few moments.

1.) On the right front of my car the bumper has dropped maybe an inch or so, is this something I could fix by merely adjusting a bolt etc? (I do have the bentley manual)

2.) My back right window will go down pretty much all the way, but cant make it up. The motor sounds fine and it does go down more or less properly, is it that the window is probably just off the track?

Hi Jason, welcome to the crowd! I think I might actually get a post in here before Jeff does (623 Regal) He owns a 530iA just like yours and would probably be a heap of knowledge and advice.

For the bumper, do you mean the entire bumper assembly is tilting low on the right side? Can't quite picture what you mean.

For the window, how do you get it back up? Do you pull on the top of the glass a bit to help it? Does it seem to wiggle a bit in the tracks on the way up? Could be a regulator problem....I'll dig into the TIS and see what's listed.

Welcome again, Jason!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default Welcome and join the fun!

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

________BMW_____________
    1) [ ( ) ( ) [ ] [ ] ( ) ( ) ] <------------- Headlights, grille etc)
    [../------------------------------] <------ Bumper thats dropped, where the "../" is.
    |[ ] ------------------------[ ]| <---- Spoiler

Imagine it being kind of slanted, right below where the lights are where the front bumper meets the the piece right below the lights. Ill try and post some images, but who doesn't appreciate some lovely ASCII art every now and then. =)

2) I get it back up by usually having someone hold the window up button as i push it up with my palms and pull on the top as well. I dont recall it really wiggling. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

________BMW_____________
    1) [ ( ) ( ) [ ] [ ] ( ) ( ) ] <------------- Headlights, grille etc)
    [../------------------------------] <------ Bumper thats dropped, where the "../" is.
    |[ ] ------------------------[ ]| <---- Spoiler

Imagine it being kind of slanted, right below where the lights are where the front bumper meets the the piece right below the lights. Ill try and post some images, but who doesn't appreciate some lovely ASCII art every now and then. =)

2) I get it back up by usually having someone hold the window up button as i push it up with my palms and pull on the top as well. I dont recall it really wiggling. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
    Jason, just to clarify, is the bumper "un-bent", just drooping (like in red line below) or is only the right corner slanting down (like with yellow line)?

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

I guess you like house Corrino, huh?

In regards to the bumper, there may be a particular plastic piece (or multiple pieces) missing on the inside of the bumper, that allows for side to side adjustment. 1 piece is bolted on the car's frame on the sides, and allows the bumper to slide onto it via another smaller piece that mates up with it, and onto the car. If this piece is missing, the bumper will still mate up correctly, but it won't be flush with the piece above it, and will likely be off to the side a bit as well.

You can see this on page 510-4 in the Bentley manual, fig. 11, item 12 and 13. Item 13 is the one that would be most likely missing- my 95' 525i didn't have one on either side when I bought it, and I had the same trouble that you have now, with it now being flushed. I eventually bought all the pieces in fig 11, #s 12-16, and was able to get it all aligned properly, before I sold it.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Sardaukar, the army in the movie dune? you can play with the bumper's height on each side by loosening the 2 17mm nuts under the black pop in strip in the center of the bumper on each side, the holes that the studs go through the bumper from the shocks are large for adjustment
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Bumper alignment

If you remove the trim piece in the centre of the bumper cover on each side, you will see a large plastic lug in front of each wheel arch. These are spring tensioned, turn each one about 180deg to loosen, (they should pop out about 10mm then undo the nuts at the front (4 * 17 or 19mm) from memory, unplug the fog lights from the wiring harness under the drivers side headlight area and unclip the temp sensor from its mounting and you can remover the entire bumper cover by pulling forward.
    Inspect the plastic slide and lug in front of the wheel arch. Mine where broken which caused the bumper cover to not align straight. The part number is stamped on the slides, they where about $20 from the dealer (probably heaps cheaper in the US, Australian parts are expensive because we don't competition from aftermarket places like your BMA).

Each slide bracket has a small bolt and locating lug into the front guard panel. (either 8 or 10mm).

Eazy fix.

If you unplug the fog lights at the witing harness, good idea to clean the contacts as this plug fills up with road grime.

John 535is 1989

Default Thanks

Thanks for the many responses!

In response to the image posted, it looks like the red line. Ill try out what you guys have suggested once i get my car back from the dealer etc. And yes it is Sardaukar as in the book/movie(s) Dune =p

Default Welcome aboard! The rear window deal...

sounds just like mine, I haven't fixed it yet but took the door panel off and the window track sliders were off track and broken. You need to pick up a couple of the slider clips and replace the old ones and you should be good to go. When you get them get a few extras so you dont have to travel back when you have a problem with any others. It could be the regulator but it sounds more like a track issue to me. You could pull the door panel and look first of course, dont pry on it hard the door panel is tricky to get off, pull, lift etc etc.

Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast