GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differential is leaking. What gaskets/seals to replace?

Default Differential is leaking. What gaskets/seals to replace?

hey all.

the Differential on my 92 525i is leaking, and i am wondering what parts to get replaced? does anyone know of a kit for this?

here is a link to the realoem site for my car, i dont' know which part numbers to get.
    REALOEM

the differential appears to be leaking from the right side, but since im gonna have the whole thing out, i would like to just replace them all while im at it.

thanks for all your help.

just call BMA and tell them you need the side seals. you dont need to pull the thing out of the car either. dont mess with the front seal.
    http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default You should inspect the cover seal as well.....

and replace it if it's leaking

How long/hard a job is it to replace those side seals?

Please, no long & hard jokes.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default I suggest taking the diff out....

it gives you an opportunity to clean it. not hard to drop it out. it's not hard at all....the side flanged pry right out and you have access to the seal. having it out helps you with properly seating the seals as well. time varies on how much you do and how familiar you are with the vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    it gives you an opportunity to clean it. not hard to drop it out. it's not hard at all....the side flanged pry right out and you have access to the seal. having it out helps you with properly seating the seals as well. time varies on how much you do and how familiar you are with the vehicle
    Great, thanks. I'll add that to my "List of things for Bruno to do"

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by afxjzs
    hey all.

the Differential on my 92 525i is leaking, and i am wondering what parts to get replaced? does anyone know of a kit for this?

here is a link to the realoem site for my car, i dont' know which part numbers to get.
    REALOEM

the differential appears to be leaking from the right side, but since im gonna have the whole thing out, i would like to just replace them all while im at it.

thanks for all your help.
    You may want first try to clean out the small vent on top of the diff. (a very small hole that can't be seen from under the car).

When it is blocked / jammed by durt enough pressure can build inside the diff to make oil seal leaks. Some time just cleanning the vent stop the leak.

To clean out the vent my mecanic force air on the top of the diff. through the fill in plug of the diff. WATCHOUT... when the vent finally get free of durt oil may spread around and on your face !!

You clean the diff and the oil seal and after a couple of trips at good speed just check if that solve the problem. If not you do the big job.

Regards. Claude

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    just call BMA and tell them you need the side seals. you dont need to pull the thing out of the car either. dont mess with the front seal.
    http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html

are you referring to this part: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cgi-...107505602-M104

Default Yeah...

that is the seal and the lockring for the output shaft......you may not need to replace that piece but it never hurts

Quote Originally Posted by afxjzs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    that is the seal and the lockring for the output shaft......you may not need to replace that piece but it never hurts

sweet. i think i only need one. i almost bought the $136 dollar gasket set.

couple questions:
    1. what do i have to dissassemble to remove the rear axle? the whole rear suspension? (bentley manual auction is ending tomorrow, so no book yet)

2. how long would this take to do with a lift and a full mechanics set up? (i have a friend that basically just charges me by the hour and i am curious to see if it is worth having him do this while i am at work or something)

3. should i replace the drain plug as well? i think i remember reading that you should do that at some point. can't remember where i read that tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast