GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear camber correction

Default Rear camber correction

have just chopped out the 3rd set of rears in 12 months and 40,000km, (ok the first 2 were the originals on the car when purchased and were low) have basically thrown the inside inch off the tyres down to the metal and more. have 235 45 17 tyres. will put pics and angle of camber, ride height etc tomorrow when i can get outside and take pics.
    Has my car been lowered by the PO creating the camber problem?
    Is there a camber correction kit available?
    Other solutions, comments....

Have also made a great stainless steel cup holder for the centre console, mark I holds 1 cup, mark II should be made next week and hold 2 hpoefully. will post pist of Mark I tomorow and am prepared to take orders if people like them...
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Check the online ETK for suspension setup on your car. Judging by the pics you have std 540 setup? If you feel the rear has sagged there are are several causes:

1. Shocks (when really old (but still actually damping) my Boges dropped the height of the car (front and rear) by 2"). This is no exaggeration as on replacement with the same part the car was raised that much...

2. Check for worn dogbones, trailing arm bushings and shock mounts. (But these make much less (or negligable) difference.

To get an idea of how much it is out, get the car on a four wheel aligner, but not for anb alignment (all they can adjust on our cars are the tie-rods (for toe). Once on the aligner have a look at the aligner's rear readings, and compare to the Bently's suspension settings page. Rear camber should be within limits, but if your car has dropped at the rear it won't be! If so- try raising the car a little bit (by taking the weight of the car with a jack) and push the diff up an inch, then maybe two. If the settings come into spec, it is probably OK but the shocks (most likely) have lost it and perhaps dropped the car. If it won't come on spec, there'll be some dead bushes in those trailing arms... I guess. Perhaps someone else can comment on what else it could be?

Rear settings:

Stock:
    Toe angle 0 25' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 20' +/- 30'

Sport suspension:
    Toe angle 0 28' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 45' +/- 30'

M-Technic suspension:
    Toe angle 0 21' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 50' +/- 30'

btw; There is only one adjustment possible without changing parts for specialty items- and it has nothing to do w ride height (ie on our cars the only adjustment we can do is turn the front tie-rods to get the front wheels within an 0.18'.0" +/-5' total toe angle).

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by stx133
    have just chopped out the 3rd set of rears in 12 months and 40,000km, (ok the first 2 were the originals on the car when purchased and were low) have basically thrown the inside inch off the tyres down to the metal and more. have 235 45 17 tyres. will put pics and angle of camber, ride height etc tomorrow when i can get outside and take pics.
    Has my car been lowered by the PO creating the camber problem?
    Is there a camber correction kit available?
    Other solutions, comments....
    Yes, you can put in some stock height springs for the rear, this will help / solve your camber problem. Alternatively, you can purchase some K-Mac rear trailing arm bushes. These are adjustable and urethane. Here's just one example of whats required to replace them.
    I'm under the impression the trailing arm bushes don't wear out though. It maybe easier just getting higher rear springs.

Around aus$300.

Also maybe Notlec can help you out also, cheaper than K-Mac.

Rear toe problems can be worse for rear tire wear than camber. Camber problems show as progressively more wear from the outer to inner edges. Extreme wear on the innermost edge is more likely a toe problem.

Toe isn't specifically adjustable but you can use eccentric bushings (or K-Macs) on the inner bush for correction. The toe setting changes as the suspension drops so lowering springs affect both toe and camber.

YMMV
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Stock:
    Toe angle 0 25' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 20' +/- 30'

Sport suspension:
    Toe angle 0 28' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 45' +/- 30'

M-Technic suspension:
    Toe angle 0 21' +/- 7'
    Axis deviation 0 +/- 15'
    Camber -2 50' +/- 30'
    Where does this info come from Nick?
    What is the difference between sport and M tech?????I thought sport was mtech?
    My last set of rears wore the inside edges down to the cords......rotation helps even out the wear as does running 39 front 41 rear pressures.But the suspension settings on our cars does make front outside and rear inside wear inevitable.How many miles a year do you do
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 02-03-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    Gone but not forgotten

thanks guys, ride height at the rear is 330mm or 13" from centre of hub to top of wheel arch, same on both sides. is this normal, lowered?
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways

i normally run 40psi in the tyres so pressure is ok, i am doing up to 40,000km per year. i am an engineer and this is my work "sponsered" vehicle.
    an accident is unlikely, i have seen the car up on a hoist and there is barely a mark on it.
    i will try and get the alignment checked for angles to i know where i am at'
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways

Quote Originally Posted by stx133
    thanks guys, ride height at the rear is 330mm or 13" from centre of hub to top of wheel arch, same on both sides. is this normal, lowered?
    Not sure about the 540 with 17" rims, but M5 rear ride spec is ~570mm measured from the underside of the fender lip to the bottom edge of the rim (where tire bead meets the rim). This is an un-loaded measurement.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    Where does this info come from Nick?
    What is the difference between sport and M tech?????I thought sport was mtech?
    My last set of rears wore the inside edges down to the cords......rotation helps even out the wear as does running 39 front 41 rear pressures.But the suspension settings on our cars does make front outside and rear inside wear inevitable.How many miles a year do you do
    Good info Paul, thanks. These numbers are from the Bently, I believe the Sport suspension was an option on the 540, but looking at the parts listings, other cars have different suspensions for various markets. It seems that these are differences in the stock suspension as opposed to Sport or M-technik... but that's only as guess.

Maybe someone who knows how they were sold can enlighten us to what suspension options were available.

Did anyone on the board ever buy an e34 new? Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

as far as i know i have a 535is with m tech suspension.The complication is that these cars are not badged as 535is not called 535is on the factory badge under the bonnet,but are called 535is on the reg details,and look identical to the m5 and any Aussie 535is models i have seen
    Gone but not forgotten