GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To chip or not to chip - '92 525i Touring

Default To chip or not to chip - '92 525i Touring

Is there any use in adding an EAT chip to my 525i wagon. It's got 112k miles, automatic, runs well. No major problems. Will I notice a difference. Is it worth doing? jt

Its always worth an EAT unless ur a sunday driver.

J.McWatters

When you add a chip, you just swap it? and nothing else?
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

Quote Originally Posted by jdt10768
    Is there any use in adding an EAT chip to my 525i wagon. It's got 112k miles, automatic, runs well. No major problems. Will I notice a difference. Is it worth doing? jt
    I wonder the same thing with regard to my '93 525iT. My thinking is that the automatic transmission has set shift points which will not take advantage of the EAT chip higher rev limit. Manual shifting is not advised for transmission longevity, so maybe the only gain is in smoother running? What say you slushbox/EAT chip drivers?
    Tom Walrod

Quote Originally Posted by calmloki
    I wonder the same thing with regard to my '93 525iT. My thinking is that the automatic transmission has set shift points which will not take advantage of the EAT chip higher rev limit. Manual shifting is not advised for transmission longevity, so maybe the only gain is in smoother running? What say you slushbox/EAT chip drivers?
    Tom Walrod
    I'm a "slushbox/EAT driver", and I can tell you that you will notice an improvement. Power is slightly better across the whole rev range, but especially down low. It's a small improvement, but certainly noticeable, and worth the $200, IMHO.

Shift points and rev limits are irrelevant except in that 0.01% of the time you are driving at ten tenths. In daily driving, you will notice and appreciate the increased torque.

YMMV, since I have the 'big' six, but I think my experience is typical.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

An improvement in power would be a good thing. This 525 has about the same horsepower and torque numbers as my '83 533i manual but, being a modern touring, is dragging about 900# more weight around. Really feel the difference, especially when cornering and first starting out. Heavy! The 533i feels really light and nimble now. Sure a lot easier to do a water pump though!
    Tom Walrod

Keep in mind you won't get a huge improvement, and it does take several miles before the ECU adapts and unleashes the full effects of the chip. But you will get $200 worth of improvement, IMHO. No other mods in that price range will yeild as tangible a result.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

I do recommend the EAT chip. I could never go back to stock. I have a 95 525 (not the touring) and really do notice the difference when accelerating from a complete stop. When I first started driving this car (without the chip), my biggest complaint was the distance/force required on the accelerator pedal to get the car going. The EAT chip significantly improved the engine sensitivity (did not have to push the pedal as much for same accel) and thus made the car more drivable in everyday use.

Do it!

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

I had a 535i AUTO and I put in a Jim Conforti (JC) chip. I didnt notice a big differance at first, but later after awhile it was very noticable. A chip is a must with these cars. EAT=$198, JC=$250.

FOR SALE 90 535i 5 speed(to many mods to list)
    http://www.wichitabmw.com/535

Default Transmission chip

Quote Originally Posted by KB535i
    I had a 535i AUTO and I put in a Jim Conforti (JC) chip. I didnt notice a big differance at first, but later after awhile it was very noticable. A chip is a must with these cars. EAT=$198, JC=$250.

I've been told that if I get a performance chip like the Conforti or EAT, I should also get a transmission chip.. I have only seen that offered by Dinan and they charge $498 for both. Is it worth it and do I need the transmission chip?

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast