GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paging jon K, super question

Default Paging jon K, super question

or for anyone else, how did you attach your supercharger to your engine... i was looking at a place around here at their BMW kits,
    but i can't for the life of my see how they attached it.... considering doing a stroker m50 (using m3 crank) with low comp pistons and a rootes or twin screw.... putting the intake from the lower fog light hole (as i have no front fog lights) and perhaps running a water-air aftercooler... just another idea i guess but i figure bang for your buck it could go pretty well...

edit: lol scrap the fog light idea, the blower sucks from the back you idiot rob!!
    Last edited by rob101; 02-01-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Roots is not going to work as it will require you modify the intake plenum which is ABS plastic. Very difficult to do. Your bet is to get ASA, Mosselman or Rotrex kits. Check out AAtuning, they used to do wicked rotrex for the M3.
    (Some aussie engineered a once-off roots with a custom intake plenum integrated. Must be a real labour of love to design such a complex piece).

Mounting bracket mounts with a strange curve on the front of the block with fan belt off and possibly alternator maybe loosened to fit it. Very tight there!. It has a tensioner integrated and needs a special longer single belt to drive everything else including the blower.

Justin from RedFive motorsport used to built a serious ProCharger blower in the M30 block of the 535i back in 01. That had a solidly engineered bracket to hold the huge Procharger in place, until the engine was blown and the rest now distant history......
    PS: if your tranny is NOT manual don't even try!. 2 weeks is how long it will last!.

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    Roots is not going to work as it will require you modify the intake plenum which is ABS plastic. Very difficult to do. Your bet is to get ASA, Mosselman or Rotrex kits. Check out AAtuning, they used to do wicked rotrex for the M3.
    (Some aussie engineered a once-off roots with a custom intake plenum integrated. Must be a real labour of love to design such a complex piece).

Mounting bracket mounts with a strange curve on the front of the block with fan belt off and possibly alternator maybe loosened to fit it. Very tight there!. It has a tensioner integrated and needs a special longer single belt to drive everything else including the blower.

Justin from RedFive motorsport used to built a serious ProCharger blower in the M30 block of the 535i back in 01. That had a solidly engineered bracket to hold the huge Procharger in place, until the engine was blown and the rest now distant history......
    PS: if your tranny is NOT manual don't even try!. 2 weeks is how long it will last!.
    modify the intake manifold?......... you know the manifold isn't the only place you can mount a Pos Displacement super, miata's have them mounted off a bracket that bolts onto the exhaust manifold and piped it to the other side of the engine.... which make alot of sense especially if you are going to use a Front mount cooler anyway. if it wasn't possible to use a positive displacement super i'd just get a turbo, I am not a fan of mech driven Centrifugal superchargers.

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    if it wasn't possible to use a positive displacement super i'd just get a turbo, I am not a fan of mech driven Centrifugal superchargers.
    What's that?

And why?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    What's that?

And why?
    if you meant what's a positive displacement supercharger it is either the rootes or twin screw type (plus other weird ones that nobody uses) supercharger that use their rotors to push the internal displacement of their fluid along (in this case air) (and compress by forcing the air through a contration) unlike centrifugal supers (including turbos except of course they aren't mechanically driven) which spin the fluid and use centrifugal forces to force it through the outlet.

no increase in low down torque........ centrifugal is less effecient than a turbocharger yet gives you no increase in low rpm torque like a positive displacement. basically a centrifugal is a turbo with a mechanical drive instead of a turbine. Therefore i don't want a centrifugal. and I don't really want a turbo either (not for technical reasons so much as to be different), i'd prefer a positive displacement super because m50 doesn't have much low rpm torque, twin screw is probably the number one candidate but rootes is okay as well.
    Last edited by rob101; 02-01-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

it i was to use a roots type, i would try to mount it under the intake upside down, and have a custom flange off the super leading to the actual intake, then pipe with a air to air on the front.????? not to sure to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    it i was to use a roots type, i would try to mount it under the intake upside down, and have a custom flange off the super leading to the actual intake, then pipe with a air to air on the front.????? not to sure to be honest.
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...scc_projmiata/

I was thinking along the lines of this setup bolting the super to the exhaust manifold and useing it upside down taking the pipe to through an air-air at the front then bolting into the intake manifold

looks like its only bolts to one area there, concept looks solid

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    looks like its only bolts to one area there, concept looks solid
    yeah i am trying to get some supercharger maps from sprintex for twin screw superchargers of around 1.25L - 1.5L displacement. It'd be interesting to see what the differences of performance of rootes and twin screw actually are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast