GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03/14/04 R.I.P my fuel pump.....arggg.......

Default 03/14/04 R.I.P my fuel pump.....arggg.......

I just went out to do a few errands and it seems that the starting question I posed a few days ago has been answered. The engine will crank, but no hint of it sparking up. The past two times I've started the car, Friday and Saturday, it would crank 4,5,6, times before starting, something that it's never done and when I'd put it in drive it would stall. It never stalls either. Kind of a shuddering upon initial accelleration, but once it got going it drove OK, no other problems. That, of course, was then. Now.....nothing. Just crankity-crankity-crankity-crank.

A stomp test reveils short-long-short-long, which as I recall means no codes present or something like that. I think. Is that right? So I've pretty much narrowed it down to it being the fuel pump. I've looked in the TIS and it shows the pump and the relay and the sending unit. The r&r procedure that it shows talks about emptying the fuel tank...OYE!...THAT sounds like a major PIA! My tank is now around 3/4 full. The link on Bruno's site for fuel pump replacement shows that the access is from the trunk, under the carpet. It talks about it showing the R&R for an '89 535i. I have a '95 525i. Same procedure? Here's some questions from an increasingly poorer man:

* Does the fuel need to be emptied from the tank? (Puhleeeese say no!)
    * Is what I need to do what is shown here ?
    *The ETK shows a p/n for the "sending unit assy metal tank" as 16 14 1 180 889. Is this the whole tamale that's shown in Bruno's pics?
    * Does that include the fuel filter or is that something else I need to do.
    * Will I need any new hose or clamps?
    * How many beers should be available for consumption during this procedure?

This doesn't look like too difficult of a fix, it's just that I try to stay with fixing the stuff that won't effect driving....lights, wipers, switches...etc. I'm just thinking that in order to save a few bucks, I need to do this. It no werky without pump! If it does involve emptying the tank, I can't do that so I'll just bend over and take it to the shop.

Whadaya guys think? Is there anything else I need to know before I f**k this up all by myself?

Brian C.
    '95 525ia
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default first, i'd

get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure that it is indeed the pump, 15-40$/300$ For a new pump ain't that much and it keeps you from replacing it unnecessarily. second, i don't think you HAVE to empty the tank per se, its just that your hands and arms will get a bath in gasoline if you don't. procedure is same for yours, as it is for mine, and this one. you may as well change the fuel filter while you're there, it will probably take more time to do than it will to change the pump......the pump is easy to extricate, it probably took more effort to get your headlight out than the pump will. if i was in the ftL/miama area and time wasn't an issue i'd take a swing at rebuilding it for you, but you sound like you need to get back on the road, so ill leave you to bma/overnight option if/when you get the indy estimate.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I think you should GO FOR IT- change it yourself!---

You will save 50% on just the part, and all the labor. New pumps are about $200 at deep discount.

I don't think you need to empty the tank. There needs to be fuel in the tank to cool the pump.

Just be sure it is the pump and not something else (relay or?). Check Bentley for diagnosis. Then, if appropriate, remove your pump and get p/n off of it, to be sure you order the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.
    I just went out to do a few errands and it seems that the starting question I posed a few days ago has been answered. The engine will crank, but no hint of it sparking up. The past two times I've started the car, Friday and Saturday, it would crank 4,5,6, times before starting, something that it's never done and when I'd put it in drive it would stall. It never stalls either. Kind of a shuddering upon initial accelleration, but once it got going it drove OK, no other problems. That, of course, was then. Now.....nothing. Just crankity-crankity-crankity-crank.

A stomp test reveils short-long-short-long, which as I recall means no codes present or something like that. I think. Is that right? So I've pretty much narrowed it down to it being the fuel pump. I've looked in the TIS and it shows the pump and the relay and the sending unit. The r&r procedure that it shows talks about emptying the fuel tank...OYE!...THAT sounds like a major PIA! My tank is now around 3/4 full. The link on Bruno's site for fuel pump replacement shows that the access is from the trunk, under the carpet. It talks about it showing the R&R for an '89 535i. I have a '95 525i. Same procedure? Here's some questions from an increasingly poorer man:

* Does the fuel need to be emptied from the tank? (Puhleeeese say no!)
    * Is what I need to do what is shown here ?
    *The ETK shows a p/n for the "sending unit assy metal tank" as 16 14 1 180 889. Is this the whole tamale that's shown in Bruno's pics?
    * Does that include the fuel filter or is that something else I need to do.
    * Will I need any new hose or clamps?
    * How many beers should be available for consumption during this procedure?

This doesn't look like too difficult of a fix, it's just that I try to stay with fixing the stuff that won't effect driving....lights, wipers, switches...etc. I'm just thinking that in order to save a few bucks, I need to do this. It no werky without pump! If it does involve emptying the tank, I can't do that so I'll just bend over and take it to the shop.

Whadaya guys think? Is there anything else I need to know before I f**k this up all by myself?

Brian C.
    '95 525ia

Default I just checked the fuse.......

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure that it is indeed the pump, 15-40$/300$ For a new pump ain't that much and it keeps you from replacing it unnecessarily. second, i don't think you HAVE to empty the tank per se, its just that your hands and arms will get a bath in gasoline if you don't. procedure is same for yours, as it is for mine, and this one. you may as well change the fuel filter while you're there, it will probably take more time to do than it will to change the pump......the pump is easy to extricate, it probably took more effort to get your headlight out than the pump will. if i was in the ftL/miama area and time wasn't an issue i'd take a swing at rebuilding it for you, but you sound like you need to get back on the road, so ill leave you to bma/overnight option if/when you get the indy estimate.

...#23 as Bentley notes, and it seems OK. Then I looked at the relay in the E-box. I'd ALMOST forgotten what a PIA getting those 4 phillips screws off was! Other than looking at the relay and seeing that it was intact and had no signs of frying I have no other way to test it, so I put it back in.

So if I have a fuel pressure gauge, I hook it up and it will tell me what? That the pump is/is not operating? If I'm not getting any start-up, the fuses and relay are good , then it must be the pump or a clogged filter. I'm gonna try this first. I'm going to go out and jump the relay in the E-box and see it the pump runs.

I'll be baaaach......

Brian C.
    .............Ansel Adams

easy job, few screws, couple hose clamps, few 10mm bolts, plug, you don't need to drain the tank if you don't mind reaching through the gas to unclip the pump from the bottom of the tank, you squease a couple ears to realease the pump from the plastic fixture on the floor of the tank
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Take pictures!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default So, I jumped the relay in the e-box......

....#30 to #87, and went back and put my ear on the access cover and the humming noise seems to indicate that the pump it working, no? So at this point my feeble diagnostic brain tells me that the relay is shot and needs replacement, yes? And I've figured this out on only on 2 Coronas....so far....and some help from all sorts of little birdies.

I see that:

RELAY, MAKE CONTACT, WHITE GREEN p/n 61 36 8 373 700 with pins..

________

30 85

_________

...is what is specified in Bentley. As so...
    Correcto? I've edited this because the first relay I found in the ETK didn't seem to be the right one on second examination, and third beer. Now, if I can only find a place open at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon! Any of this sound like it's makin' sense yet?

Brian C.
    ....how'm I doin' so far??
    Last edited by Brian C.; 03-14-2004 at 02:39 PM. Reason: wrong info
    .............Ansel Adams

Default Strangely enough...I have been!.....

......were those the door seals that you were looking for Jeff?

Brian C.
    .............Ansel Adams

Default OK.....now WTF??

I think I'm starting to realize why you mechanic guys get all that $$$/hr!

Now I pulled the relay from the e-box and look at it. It has a different part number...61 36 8 366 600...on it than what the ETK states here:
    BUT...........(you tricky little s thought I wouldn't find this huh?)...I see a button for "supercession" and press it and get this:
    ...and there's the elusive old part number that's actually on my old relay, that has now been superceeded by the new part number...61 36 8 373 700...which is the one that I will ask for at the parts counter tomorrow morning! Can I get an "AMEN" on any of this?? Am I being worthy of a Junior Cubscout Mechanic Badge yet??

Brian C.
    ....only up to 4 beers.
    .............Ansel Adams

Default You may be correct Warren......

....about the relay(see below)being bad. I'm glad you guys prodded me to look at other things before buying a pump. I hope I'm right about the relay, only thing is that nothing is open right now that has one, so I'll get one Monday morning and plug it in. Then I'll see what happens!

Brian C.
    .............Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast