GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Clutch Advice Needed......

Default Clutch Advice Needed......

So, I'm slowly piecing this thing back together in my spare time and have a clutch wear question. I ordered a clutch, pressure plate etc. from BMA anticipating the need to change it (also considering the 'while you're in there' factor), BUT....when I measure clutch disc and pressure plate wear, I am hesitant to make the change without consultation with the pros

The disc measures a solid 9mm with no runout, while the pressure plate shows barely any sign of significant wear ( a lip has not even remotely started to form and the fingers etc. are perfect). So, given that the minimum is 7.5mm, the new disc is 10mm and I'm at 9mm now, my brain figures I hve some time to spare. I've changed everything else back there including the rear main seal, gasket, and pilot bearing.

I guess i'm asking: How long should this baby last given that I only drive this thing in the short Canadian summer, mostly long trips on the highway (15,000 miles/year max), and I'm not adverse to doing this job in two or three years. Before you ask, I've driven the car with this clutch installed (by previous owner) for the last 40,000 miles. Have I just answered my own question ?

My cheap ass just can't bear to throw out what seem to be good parts.

Any and all opinions wlcome, thanks in advance,

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 01-31-2006 at 09:47 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

from what I read a non abused cluth will last well into the 100s of thousands of miles. As for the throwout bearing and the other stuff I do not know.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My throwout bearing locked up at 145k miles (91 535i). Clutch feels OK but will change all clutch hardware, transmission supports, rebuild shifter linkage, etc. Car is parked at the moment to accumulate funds. Sadly, will be selling my baby soon after I complete the work. I fall in love with this car each time I drive it but we must reduce the size of the fleet. I wouldn't change anything in the clutch area just as a preventative measure if the disk is good and it is running OK. My $.02.

Paul

Dave, notwithstanding the condition of the pressure plate and clutch disc, I would be most weary about the release/throwout bearing. I was once bitten, now twice shy...had the motor out in my 88 Grand Prix to do some work, looked at the clutch pressureplate and the flywheel, all of which were WELL within spec. Yup...throwout bearing went on it 3,000km later...*frack* Had to pull the whole thing apart. If you change nothing else, put in the new release bearing!

Mein 2¢, !
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    Dave, notwithstanding the condition of the pressure plate and clutch disc, I would be most weary about the release/throwout bearing. I was once bitten, now twice shy...had the motor out in my 88 Grand Prix to do some work, looked at the clutch pressureplate and the flywheel, all of which were WELL within spec. Yup...throwout bearing went on it 3,000km later...*frack* Had to pull the whole thing apart. If you change nothing else, put in the new release bearing!

Mein 2¢, !
    Duey
    Thanks guys,

Agreed. I should have mentioned that I will be replacing the throwout bearing (already done the pilot). Cheap insurance.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *