GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OBC language and Check Control language different

Default OBC language and Check Control language different

I have a 1989 525i (209k). A few days ago the OBC language and Check Control language began displaying in two different languages (Check Control=German and OBC functions=English). They seem to be out of sync.

I changed the OBC language back to English US (as well as others), but the check control language always reads different.

If the check control language in the cluster always changes, that is probably the first sign that you need new capacitors.
    Also pull the button on the cc completely out, maybe it is stuck. To change the language on the on board computer, you probably have to unlock the board computer.
    Do a search for unlocking the BC.
    How to change the caps is shown on Johan and Sean's website, see link on my website below.

I've noticed this with mine - haven't found an answer yet, although haven't looked too hard as I now know what the German warnings mean too!

Seems out of the list of languages, the cc is always a couple ahead of the OBC..
    It doesn't change by itself or anything though, and I've had no other problems at all with it, or any of the dash/displays, so I don't think it's anything breaking..

Still irritating though, that I can't see a way to fix it! (have tried leaving the battery off/reset everything, still same results)

Default two upper cap problems?

I appreciate your help.

I recently changed the three lower caps (220uF/16 volt); however, the electronics shop apparently gave me the wrong caps for the upper two (20 uF 40volt), or at least they looked smaller and thinner than the others, so I didn't change them. My initial problem was solved... until this week.

Two questions:
    (1) Could the two upper caps be the source of this particular problem?
    (2) It it common for the caps to look different (smaller and thinner), even though their values are stated the same on the exterior? (as you can tell, I'm not very sharp on electronics, but enjoy working on the problem)

Thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    If the check control language in the cluster always changes, that is probably the first sign that you need new capacitors.
    Also pull the button on the cc completely out, maybe it is stuck. To change the language on the on board computer, you probably have to unlock the board computer.
    Do a search for unlocking the BC.
    How to change the caps is shown on Johan and Sean's website, see link on my website below.