GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 ECU differences, Maroon vs silver label -413

Default M50 ECU differences, Maroon vs silver label -413

Guys,

trying to figure out if an ECU with a silver label + bosch #-413 will work in place of an ECU with maroon label + Bosch #-413 ???

Somehow I think they don't interchange, but I'd like to know for sure, and if not- why not? One is from a '93 525i (maroon), the other is from a '95 525i (silver).

Thanks!!

Bret.

I can't answer your question, but you might find something by a Google search. I'd try plugging the entire part number into the 'must have' field along with the word 'label', and "maroon purple silver gray" into the 'must have one' field. Use the advanced search here: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Well, I'm 99% sure the maroon label ECU is non-EWS, and the silver label ECU is EWS II. Now, my understanding is that the EWS II system uses a chip in the key that is matched to the ECU, and that the ECU would not work if installed in another car.

Can anyone shed anymore light on EWS in this situation???

Thanks!!

Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Guys,

trying to figure out if an ECU with a silver label + bosch #-413 will work in place of an ECU with maroon label + Bosch #-413 ???

Somehow I think they don't interchange, but I'd like to know for sure, and if not- why not? One is from a '93 525i (maroon), the other is from a '95 525i (silver).

Thanks!!

Bret.

Bret,

you can use the silver (grey) label EWS ECU in a non-EWS car but to do so, you need to remove the EPROM which has EWS functions in it (sw version 1 267 357 715) and replace it with a chip from a non-EWS car.

I make a chip to bypass the EWS in an EWS car, but it requires that all the EWS parts are still in the car. It would not work if you put the EWS ECU into a non-EWS car.

By the way, the EWS EPROM is not just the non-EWS code but with EWS added, it's got other features in it also such as more rev limiters (for each gear)

MarkD
    Last edited by MarkD; 01-31-2006 at 04:23 AM.

mark, mine has a silver label with the following number
    1 267 356 548 (on the original bmw chip). questions:

1. what is ews ?
    2. i recently chipped the car using viper2 from chippeduk - have some problems with idle, sooty exhaust etc - could it be due to ews mismatch - the ecu# is Bosch 0 261 200 405 (on the aluminium cover)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    Bret,

you can use the silver (grey) label EWS ECU in a non-EWS car but to do so, you need to remove the EPROM which has EWS functions in it (sw version 1 267 357 715) and replace it with a chip from a non-EWS car.

I make a chip to bypass the EWS in an EWS car, but it requires that all the EWS parts are still in the car. It would not work if you put the EWS ECU into a non-EWS car.

By the way, the EWS EPROM is not just the non-EWS code but with EWS added, it's got other features in it also such as more rev limiters (for each gear)

MarkD

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    mark, mine has a silver label with the following number
    1 267 356 548 (on the original bmw chip). questions:

1. what is ews ?
    It's an anti-theft system using a coded key and security code stored in the EPROM chip. The code sent by the key must match the code in the EPROM to allow the car to start.

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    2. i recently chipped the car using viper2 from chippeduk - have some problems with idle, sooty exhaust etc - could it be due to ews mismatch - the ecu# is Bosch 0 261 200 405 (on the aluminium cover)
    No, your 405 DME does not have EWS. Your problems are due to the maps in the chip if they are not present when the stock chip is used.

Do you live in the UK? I'm just wondering why you would buy that chip when there are chips available in North America that work well.

MarkD

mark, i live in malaysia - right hand drive and with air-cond. i drive a 520i m50 non-vanos enginecirca 1993. the spec closely mirrors what is sold in uk (includes air-cond etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    No, your 405 DME does not have EWS. Your problems are due to the maps in the chip if they are not present when the stock chip is used.

Do you live in the UK? I'm just wondering why you would buy that chip when there are chips available in North America that work well.

MarkD