GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify a V8 Nikasil

Default How to identify a V8 Nikasil

Hi chaps. This is my first post.Im a resident of the UK but I've been searching the net for this very question and came across your forum.

Ive been offered a E34 530 touring with 70000miles on it for £1400 with leather and a/c etc. Its a really good price.Trouble is I'm a little nervous because of all the horror stories I've heard about the Nikasil problems.

I was hoping that somebody may have a "quick " way to identify one of these engines. Maybe a casting on the block or a number stamped some were.

Thanks for looking Clack

Maybe I misunderstood the issue, but I thought it was only a problem in places where high sulphur fuels were common -- which was predominatly USA, and not UK

Can anyone else confirm this ?
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Clack, there were in fact issues with high-sulfur in the UK as well. Here is some info you might find useful. To look at your engine-block casting numbers, look underneath the engine, on the right side (driver's side for you gents on the right side of the Atlantic and North of the Channel), just above the coolant drain by #3 cylinder.

Casting numbers you would prefer not to see are:

1 725 970, or
    1 741 212

If you have these, you have a Nikisil block. That, however, does not mean that you should go looking for a tall building to jump out of...far from it. I and many others have perfectly functioning, healthy Nikasil engines. Frankly, odds are good that if your engine has made it this far, it should last a lifetime (which can be quite a long time for a well cared-for BMW motor.)

In this thread You'll note that only 1 of 61 M60 V8 owners had a Nikisil engine fail on them. To definitively know whether you have an issue of not, you could have a reputable independat mechanic perform a leakdown check to see of there is cylinder bore damage. I had mine done for peace of mind when I first bought my 540i and was assured by my indy (based on good numbers) that my motor was close to being "just off the showroom floor" condition. I would suspect that any Nikasil motor running smoothly now would be in the same condition.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

It's often a bit of a pain to see from below, my car had the starter heat shield in the way. I found that by using an extending inspection mirror, put down from above in the area Duey described, will find the numbers just as easily. They're on a plate attached to the block, and hard to miss. Plus, you don't have to lift the car, or get dirty.

I never realized that you guys across the pond had Nikasil problems, I thought it was USA only with our crappy gas.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Worse, I think in the UK the E36 328i's have Nikasil problems too, as their cylinders were Nikasil lined whereas the NA ones weren't.

Default Here are the markets that had the high sulfur problem

Quote Originally Posted by zygoteer
    Maybe I misunderstood the issue, but I thought it was only a problem in places where high sulphur fuels were common -- which was predominatly USA, and not UK

Can anyone else confirm this ?

Yes unfortunately we do suffer the same. The M52 2.8 also has a nikasil block. As do the jag V8`s apparently. Thanks for the advice guys. Ive bought the car today so i'm gonna get it on a ramp in the morning to look for the "dreaded" numbers. I'm gonna run it on super unleaded 98+Ron so it should help a little. It runs great,but on warm up under power it chucks a bit of white smoke out the back( a precursor???) It hasn't been used for a couple of years so i'm hoping this is the reason.

Default are all 95 530 and 540s affected?

I was looking at a 95 530i touring with 94,000 miles. It was made in either 9 or 10/95. Have not had time to check serial numbers or even further check the car. So is there a year month range or is it strictly serial number ranges affected? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by clack
    Hi chaps. This is my first post.Im a resident of the UK but I've been searching the net for this very question and came across your forum.

Ive been offered a E34 530 touring with 70000miles on it for £1400 with leather and a/c etc. Its a really good price.Trouble is I'm a little nervous because of all the horror stories I've heard about the Nikasil problems.

I was hoping that somebody may have a "quick " way to identify one of these engines. Maybe a casting on the block or a number stamped some were.

Thanks for looking Clack
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Yes, all. Unless they have already been changed to the alusil motor

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I was looking at a 95 530i touring with 94,000 miles. It was made in either 9 or 10/95. Have not had time to check serial numbers or even further check the car. So is there a year month range or is it strictly serial number ranges affected? TIA

Even some that have a new block are affected, in the early stages of the problem BMW was replacing Nikasil blocks with new Nikasil ones when they didn't know what was wrong. The only way to know for sure is to check the reciepts, or check the numbers.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast