GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Have your say now! What do you think:

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • There's way too much OT in the 5-series forum, it should be placed in the OT forum.

13 59.09%
  • It could be better managed by the contributors posting it

2 9.09%
  • The mods are doing a good job shovelling it all to the OT forum- no change.

0 0%
  • It's fun, shovel more at me! I like to hang in the one forum reading as much crap as can be laid.

8 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: OT: Are we on about too much OT?

Default OT: Are we on about too much OT?

Hi all,

A certain of off topic chat is ok, but perhaps this week has gone way OTT on OT. (ie Over The Top on Off-Topic stuff)

Thought a poll might be interesting...
    Last edited by genphreak; 01-29-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I just realised from those options it could be misconstrued... please don't let any mods be offended- I am sure we are all happy they are doing a very good job, regardless of the choices people pick! Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

I think there's too much OT crap in the 5 series BMW page, however, you read the the OT Topic Forum and it states "OT is OK on the regular boards, but I'll move off the political and lengthy threads here on occasion. You're also welcome to post OT here anytime though". So what do you do? I think OT in the main forum clutters up the page too much, so when the technical questions get posted and they move off the first page, they are forgetten about

Nick

In past discussions, a number of people have said it would be boring if all we talked about were "what is the best brand of_____". They have said they like the mixture of technical and non technical. The way you worded option 4 makes it hard to express that point of view. Your bias really comes through.

Should I take it personally that you raise this on the day I post the OT poll? Was I the straw that broke the camel's back??? The OT that pushed you over the edge??? Just kidding. I am not offended.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Nick

In past discussions, a number of people have said it would be boring if all we talked about were "what is the best brand of_____". They have said they like the mixture of technical and non technical. The way you worded option 4 makes it hard to express that point of view. Your bias really comes through.

Should I take it personally that you raise this on the day I post the OT poll? Was I the straw that broke the camel's back??? The OT that pushed you over the edge??? Just kidding. I am not offended.
    LOL, Sorry Gayle, I just blurted it out. I hate to belie my feigned bias, but to be frank I like the OT stuff, although it does depend how much is there.

I posted a good one in the OT forum the other day and noticed how few reads it got (and having spent a long time crafting it) I thought... hmmm maybe I should have put it in the 5-series forum, but I couldn't bring myself to do it since it felt plain wrong and also I didn't as I didn't want to make more work for a mod.

By the time OT threads reach page 2 usually a mod has 'shovelled it' so I think its ok the way it is actually.

I realised after I put it up that you were one of the OT posters today- and know you care about the forum as much as anyone, so please be assured it wasn't a poke at you at all- my apologies if it might have felt that way! Please don't be too concerened if the poll outcome is negative either... I think the last 2 weeks have seen more OT threads than ever and its probably just a spike Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 01-29-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    LOL, Sorry Gayle, I just blurted it out. I hate to belie my feigned bias, but to be frank I like the OT stuff, although it does depend how much is there.

I posted a good one in the OT forum the other day and noticed how few reads it got (and having spent a long time crafting it) I thought... hmmm maybe I should have put it in the 5-series forum, but I couldn't bring myself to do it since it felt plain wrong and also I didn't as I didn't want to make more work for a mod.

By the time OT threads reach page 2 usually a mod has 'shovelled it' so I think its ok the way it is actually.

Nick

The off topic on this board should really be labelled "sick and twisted". Normal off topic stuff doesn't get posted there. It is only the off--off--off topic that gets posted there. For that reason, not many people read it. If it is off topic and you want people to read it, you have to post it on the 5 series page. If it is a normal off topic that gets posted on the off topic page---for sure no one will read it cause it is not twisted enough.

I haven't seen stuff get moved just for being off topic. The only time I have seen stuff get moved is if it clearly belonged on the classified page or if it was a thread that had degenerated into an argument. The latter gets moved to cool them off.

I just don't see people doing the self policing you were talking about because there is no reward for doing it--instead you just get ignored.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    The off topic on this board should really be labelled "sick and twisted". Normal off topic stuff doesn't get posted there. It is only the off--off--off topic that gets posted there. For that reason, not many people read it. If it is off topic and you want people to read it, you have to post it on the 5 series page. If it is a normal off topic that gets posted on the off topic page---for sure no one will read it cause it is not twisted enough.

I haven't seen stuff get moved just for being off topic. The only time I have seen stuff get moved is if it clearly belonged on the classified page or if it was a thread that had degenerated into an argument. The latter gets moved to cool them off.

I just don't see people doing the self policing you were talking about because there is no reward for doing it--instead you just get ignored.
    Wow, I thought it was being moved! Doh!

I guess I don't trawl enough through the older stuff... Oh well!

Crumbs, whose job will it be to archive all this OT stuff?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak

Crumbs, whose job will it be to archive all this OT stuff?

You volunteering?