GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT, with the cost of a Z8 i'd be a little pissed off

Default OT, with the cost of a Z8 i'd be a little pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by willobmw
    Me too.
    Ooooch.

Now hang on a minute; Is this not the car Pierce Brosnan jumped building to building in London? (In the James Bond movie: Never say never, never again never never... or something like that).

Or does the problem not happen when it is under remote control by a Nokia phone as it sees all possible dangers and avoids them no matter what?

It is a bit Bleeding edge strikes again really: Poor old BMW; it might have to make some tubular steel frames up and give everyone an M10 motor to compensate them for the increased weight...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

ill take one of those ****ed up z8s, bet i can figure out how to compesate/fix
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

But it might be better to be positive about it and come up with a constructive response- the Z8 tii perhaps: Change current production/orders to include the new frame upgrade, and offer a free rebuild to all those with current cars, including a new M10 which is only available as an upgrade on the new car (which continues to be sold cheap). Everyone raves about it and can buy the M10 version for megabucks.

Then end that model and sell the M10 version only (and increase the price again to megamoney so as not to flood the market, but ensuring everyone wants one...)

Then BMW could really get off its laurels and give the old V8s to people like us who do so much to support the brand in the first place

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

You know BMW will fix this just like they fixed the v8 issue with the E34/32. Not worth pissing off all those high end customers.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    You know BMW will fix this just like they fixed the v8 issue with the E34/32. Not worth pissing off all those high end customers.
    Agreed. But how do u fix/replace a frame? They would have to develop and deliver a whole buch of special laser cutter tools to allow major dealers to semi-rebuild each car... with whatever the fix itself is. I know they are smart, but I reckon this could work out to be far too expensive- swapping a motor is one thing. Even an insurance company scraps a car once the damage is past 30%...

I bet one thing tho, whatever it is it woill have some titanium alloy in it-even if it is justa small section. They won't be able to get people to stomach it if it doesn't.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

About 3/4 of the way down that thread there's a post that references the same kind of chassis damage occurring on the new 5s and 6s. Yipes.

If an owner kicked up a stink, I am sure BMW will comply. I would not expect a great deal of owners would know about this outside of forum readers and club people.
    If I owned a Z8, it will be for sale very soon.....

Local body shop owner (only qualified BMW shop in the state of NM) told me yesterday that they see the bowed out strut towers all the time, on all sorts of BMWs. They have a fixture for straightening them out, though if it's AL, low-cycle fatigue can kill you (well, kill the tower - not fatal to humans) pretty fast.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5