I had previously posted a request for some help with the mild pinging under mild load that I was experiencing with my car, at 129,000 miles, running 91 octane fuel in California. Good news update below...

01/2006 update:
Replaced the O2 sensor on a hunch, as it was apparently the original; first owner seems to have failed to replace it at 60,000 miles, now has 131,000. Symptoms included the slight pinging when warmed up, ran more strongly and responsivley w/out pinging when the engine was cold. Interesting; In 11/05, it passed CA smog testing (specialized smog center, full test, on the rollers, not a tailpipe only test) with the EAT chip and the bad O2 sensor, but just barely. With the new sensor, day and night...runs as strongly & crisply when warmed up as when cold, and no discernible pinging when warm. I'll follow the mileage to check for imporvements, but I was already getting 19 mpg in town and 25-27 on the highway at approx 75 mph with A/C. Haven't tried cleaning the MAF yet. FYI to others. Thanks for all the input. Al
Edit/Delete Message