GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to repaint the front spoiler?

Default Best way to repaint the front spoiler?

I'd like to repaint my front spoiler so that it's glossy like the rest of the car, rather than matte as it is now.

Is that a reasonable DIY job? What's the best way to go about it?

To be clear, here's the part I want to repaint:

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by cschollum
    would seem pointless excersise on a black car, better on a coloured car so the black bumper matches the car colour...my 2 cents
    I understand your point, but IMHO making that spoiler glossy causes it to catch the light differently, filling out the car's appearance from the front and even making it look lower by drawing attention to the spoiler.

You may think it's silly. That's fine. No doubt the difference will be minimal, but I think this is one of those things that can be a very inexpensive and tangible improvement to the car's looks.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Gotta agree with jaylebo here...

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    I understand your point, but IMHO making that spoiler glossy causes it to catch the light differently, filling out the car's appearance from the front and even making it look lower by drawing attention to the spoiler.

You may think it's silly. That's fine. No doubt the difference will be minimal, but I think this is one of those things that can be a very inexpensive and tangible improvement to the car's looks.
    i have a black car and i've been thinking of painting that for ages... front and back. i've seen some cars with it painted and it looks Great (especially with corner splitters).

So yeah, if anybody has any tips or tricks for painting, i'm all ears.

Thanks

a good prime and then since it's an 'easy' color... grab some Krylon Fusion black, wait for it to dry fully, then overcoat with glossy.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

You will probably want to take the bumper cover off during the painting process and mask the rest of the bumper off. I know that special "bumper paint" is avalable that is specially made to stick well to bumper plastics.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

If it were mine, I'd by a ~$15 spray can of SEM Chip Guard, in black, and respray the spoiler with that. No more rock chips or sandblasting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo

I think you are getting a hand of my...small but noticeable improvements.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I would describe them as small nut unconsciously noticable details. They improve the overall appearance of the car without drawing attention to themselves.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    I would describe them as small nut unconsciously noticable details. They improve the overall appearance of the car without drawing attention to themselves.

Small nuts?

you can diy paint for that area. I painted a front lip spoiler on my other cars.

Prep the surface and tape off area you dont want painted.

Get some Gloss black spray paint Practice painting so you will have a somewhat glossy finish. Good way is to have the spray can about 3-5 inch away from the surface.. Move the spray in one uniform spray motion. Try not to have too much overlapping coverage. Do not lay down too much paint or it will drip. Get down a good 3 coat on.

After the paint fully cures. You will prob see uneven coverage. Wet sand it with 1500 -2000 grid sand paper. dont freak.. the paint will look dull after sanding. However it will be smooth.

Use some Meguiars scratch X and rub the paint until you see it shinny again. Note: Scratch X is not a wax on wax off product.. You have to use some muscle but totally safe even on your oem paint.

If you have a portercable buffer, use ColorX to get the shine back from wet sand.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast