GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long for a 5HP30 VB rebuild?

Default How long for a 5HP30 VB rebuild?

How long does it take to rebuild the valve body on a 1994 540i ZF 5HP30 transmission? My tech says he gets 5.5 hrs, but his people have done this many times and can probably finish in less time. I am wondering how long it takes a DIY'er who has never done this before. I will consider doing it myself as long as I am not getting into another multi-weekend job like changing the evaporator on my 300E.

Hopefully some of you guys who have done this for the first time may reply?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I read it takes a couple hours.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Paid someone to do yours eh?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

the ZF HP-18 does not have that issue OR use the expensive fluid.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Anyway, if you have the 5hp30 you should get it done, so you avoid the no reverse eventuality. If you do it w/ your guy make sure he gets the real deal rebuild kit. Kirt K's come with a new elec harness, sensors, and fully spec'd solenoids tested on a tranny dyno. I forget, but I think it was like $350? Fluid was another $100. My local indy dropped the pan, replaced the vb, and refilled it properly w my fluid, changed the filter and he charged me $100.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

It takes a couple of hours to do the removal and installation. I would say 3 hours to take it down since you never done it before... and 3 hours to put it up carefully... and another couple of hours to level out the car and fill all the tranny fluid in...

You are going to need the Rhino ramps... and two jacks shop duty one (to raise the rear end up so car is level). Having a shop lift really make this job alot easier.

I had Kirt do my VB... I think he charges $500 range to do the job now... he can do it a couple of ways... he send you one first (cost more) or you send him yours and then he rebuild and send back(takes about aweek or two turn around.)

As for the fluid... I used Penzoil MultiVehicle ATF at $3 a quart... and you need a case of 12.

I plan to get the kit from Kirt K. He sells them for $100. But I was thinking of installing the kit myself. Has anyone rebuilt their own valve body?

Hmmm, a month of silence. Does this mean I need counseling for even considering this?

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    Hmmm, a month of silence. Does this mean I need counseling for even considering this?
    there was someone who had a website full of pictures when they did their 7-series valve-body. I'm sorry i don't have the link but maybe this will remind someone who does.

bump

Shogun!!!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast