GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any one know hex key size for BMW radio?

Default Does any one know hex key size for BMW radio?

Hi BImmer Gurus.

Does any body have hex key size fro opening BMW factory radio? I have a set for keys and bits but none of them worked. The one which fits best doesn't lock and rotate freely. May be hex hole be rounded by PO or his/her machanic. If it is, can any body give me idia how to open this?

Thanks a lot.

regards
    Akhil
    Last edited by Akhil; 01-29-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Default It's a five-sided key, not a hex. Antitheft tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    Hi BImmer Gurus.

Does any body have hex key size fro opening BMW factory radio? I have a set for keys and bits but none of them worked. The one which fits best doesn't lock and rotate freely. May be hex hole be rounded by PO or his/her machanic. If it is, can any body give me idia how to open this?

Thanks a lot.

regards
    Akhil
    ...you can usually grind a hex key to fit, or use a small screwdriver to span two of the five corners.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Thanks for yor reply billb

Bentelly Manual say Hex key that's why I tried it with hex. Do you know specification of that Petagonal key by any chance?
    I am going to try it today. I am sure if I try with wrong size of key or screw driver, I would end up screwing that screw . Is that screw easily available as spare parts. If it is where can I buy it?

Thanks
    Akhil
    Last edited by Akhil; 01-29-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Default Screw is not easily available...

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    Bentelly Manual say Hex key that's why I tried it with hex. Do you know specification of that Petagonal key by any chance?
    I am going to try it today. I am sure if I try with wrong size of key or screw driver, I would end up screwing that screw . Is that screw easily available as spare parts. If it is where can I buy it?

Thanks
    Akhil
    ...but i've used the screwdriver method for 7 years now

If you go to www.bavauto.com, and search under their tools section, you'll find a BMW radio removal tool. It's their part number 600143. You can spend $16.95 plus shipping and tax, or you can find a screwdriver like I did and do it yourself. Your choice.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

I ground my own tool from an ordinary flat-head nail. The first step was to grind a regular pentagon into the head to act as a guide for the tip. Then grind off the point. Use a reference fence on the grinder to position the pentagonal head on and grind flats into the tip. It's actually pretty easy to make. Took me about five minutes and three or four iterations to get a tight fit.

i've not seen replacment screws avalable, they are varly soft brass so take care to not strip them too bad
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I'm with BillB...I've used a very small screwdriver (like from a jewelers set). And ditto with being careful...the brass is very soft and can be rounded off easily if too much pressure is supplied.

If you didn't know...the screws do not come out...they just retract wings that push out from the side that holds the radio in with compression.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Default Thanks guys I got the radio out with a ...

flat screw driver and took that radio apart. Took out stuck CASSETTE. New problem is Driver belt for CASSETTE DECK is broken. I am going to look for it in local ecectronic store. Do you gus know where canI find these belts. Another thing while I am there I would like to replace LCD display, couse it half blanked out. Do you guys have any idia where can I find this display, if at all.

Thanks agaian for all your help.
    Akhil

Probably cheaper and easier to just buy a good working used radio- should be available for $50-60 or so.

Bret.

Akhil,

Like Bret said, its likely cheaper and less hastle to find a used radio. I have an Alpine (I think) thats just sitting around somewhere, which I would send you for a few dollars, or trade for something else. I'd basically give it away, as I can't guarantee it will work 'perfectly'. From what i remember, one of the little green lights behind the radio pre-set buttons doesn't work, but the tape deck worked fine. Shipping may cost a bit more as I'm in Canada, but not a major hastle.

Just an option,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast