GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded in the E34

Default Traded in the E34

I got a new job that required a lot of driving. That wasn't the main problem. It requires selling to 84 lumbers and builders. To do this I might have to go on the occasional job site or haul a window. I got a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It only has 75K on it and is great condition. I will feel better pulling up in this and not having to explain that my BMW isn't expensive and has a lot of miles on it. I will miss my 5er, and will continue to visit this site.

So basically you traded your BMW in because you didn't like having the image of the rich man. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    I got a new job that required a lot of driving. That wasn't the main problem. It requires selling to 84 lumbers and builders. To do this I might have to go on the occasional job site or haul a window. I got a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It only has 75K on it and is great condition. I will feel better pulling up in this and not having to explain that my BMW isn't expensive and has a lot of miles on it. I will miss my 5er, and will continue to visit this site.
    Hmmm I think the Grand Cherokee just screams of eliteism.
    I would have gone for a 1928 Model 'T' pickup if I were you!
    Just make sure you wear some baggy jeans with braces, a torn flannelette shirt, a straw hat and smoke a corncob pipe.
    Oh and leave a banjo on the back seat!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Mbo, get ready to start replacing warped rotors, differentials, CV boots, and maybe a transfer case. And join JeepForums -- good place.

best, whit

I prefer the Cherokee over the Grand Cherokee. It looks working class but you can have it in an upscale trim with a nicer interior, more features, and smoother ride. There's fewer electrical issues in the Cherokee too.

Nice rig though. Enjoy it!
    1990 Infiniti Q45 - http://www.Q45.org/
    1990 BMW 525i - Sold

Creve Coeur, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Torque
    So basically you traded your BMW in because you didn't like having the image of the rich man. Good job.

You are an idiot. I need to be able to haul windows and drive on construction sites. I wanted something that could do this and still be a nice looking and driving vehicle.

And yes, if you have worked around these guys like I have you would know that they can be like children. They still see a BMW and think the person is automatically a rich *******. I need to perform at this job without any obstacles. First impression is huge, and if they think I am a rich ******* when I pull up I will down 1 and haven't even said a word yet.

And yes, if you have worked around these guys like I have you would know that they can be like children. They still see a BMW and think the person is automatically a rich *******. I need to perform at this job without any obstacles. First impression is huge, and if they think I am a rich ******* when I pull up I will down 1 and haven't even said a word yet.

I agree with you. I have worked in that industry and ran into many problems because everyone thought the $3600 BMW I drove was a rich mans car. I know people in the industry that are very wealthy and drive their F250 to work and keep the BMWs and Mercedes at home. You are smart for your move IMO and the Jeep is far more practical for the job.

BTW Joe Hardy is one of the bigest asses out there so screw over 84 lumber if you can

I agree. I get those looks and comments all the time from co-workers as well as from Camary driving executives ("We must be paying you too much." etc...) It can be an all too real issue. Telling them that I bought it via eBay for 1/3 what they paid for their Camary doesn't seem to ease the tension either.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

Torque, I apoligize for calling you an idiot. I just got a little pissed when I saw your comment.

Great point about the trucks. They are driving $35k trucks and yet still think I am the snobby one with the $5000 BMW. LOL What can you do.

Couple of things.

1. I will agree with Whit on this one. Get ready for repair costs. I owned a 1999 Jeep GC and guess what, at the milage you are at things are going to start to break. Major electrical problems. I also had a 1997 Jeep GC and the same th ing. Thought I would have learned the first time.

2. I live in a small town and nothing gets me more then pulling up in my $3K car and having people thinking I carry my money to the back in wheels barrels. What they forget is that they drive a $45 pickup and so does their wife. Basically what I came to the realization of, is who the hell cares what someone things with what you drive up in. Hell, they might even think you a better sales person because you do pull up in that $3k car, you have already sold them on the fact that you know how to make money.......

Anyway, great luck in your new job. Hope all works out and I am sure we will be hearing from you shortly after you miss the Bimmer ways.

Stephen
    535 Rear Wheel Enjoyment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast