GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help: E34 M30 intake!?!

Default Help: E34 M30 intake!?!

Alright, I want an intake for my M30. I've heard that the stock system is pretty much optimized for the engine, and obviously I won't be seeing big, if any, power gains. The main reason I'm interested is the sound, and perhaps to wake up the motor a bit.

I know TCD has an intake for the E28 M30B34, but not for mine. As far as I know, no company manufactures a bolt-in cold air intake for these engines.

I was wondering, if my information is false and a company does produce this, or if perhaps some of you 535i guys have rigged up a nice DIY setup. Keep in mind I'd rather keep the stock then have a system that looks like it came out of the garden.

Thanks in advance!
    -Jeremy
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    Alright, I want an intake for my M30. I've heard that the stock system is pretty much optimized for the engine, and obviously I won't be seeing big, if any, power gains. The main reason I'm interested is the sound, and perhaps to wake up the motor a bit.

I know TCD has an intake for the E28 M30B34, but not for mine. As far as I know, no company manufactures a bolt-in cold air intake for these engines.

I was wondering, if my information is false and a company does produce this, or if perhaps some of you 535i guys have rigged up a nice DIY setup. Keep in mind I'd rather keep the stock then have a system that looks like it came out of the garden.

Thanks in advance!
    -Jeremy
    When you say "intake", what are you talking about? Are you asking for an *intake manifold?* If so, Dinan makes one, but it might cost more than your car is worth:

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...%20Tuning#1497

If you're talking about improving air flow, maybe there's a reason why nobody has made a "bolt-in cold air intake." IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Do you think some after-market company, even one with resources like Dinan haven't considered it? One thing to consider, BMW spends millions tuning their cars.

The key here is COLD air flow. The stock system does this very well. IF you really think you need something "extra," put in a K&N filter. You'll spend $50 and feel better....

I understand, this is the reason I'm looking for a cold air intake with a heat shield. It would still like to provide cold air, but also a better sound.

I appreciate you talking to me like I'm an idiot, thats looking for a "DIY intake manifold."
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

You could sacrifice the right high-beam headlight and install a screen to get your air from like BigKriss did.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Yeah, I like the increased induction 'roar' at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You could sacrifice the right high-beam headlight and install a screen to get your air from like BigKriss did.

Yeah. The stock system is a cold air intake. It's just a quiet and efficient one. Few other cars (until recently) have bothered to do what Bimmer did with theirs at the time. To increase roar, perhaps fashion a replacement filterbox in the same design as the stock one but make it out of alluminium. Open the front intake trumpet up like Kriss did. But I'd be sure to add an insulation in between it and the exhaust manifold so it doesn't heat up your intake air.

In saying this, I just thought- perhaps covering the intake box in alluminum foil would keep the air going through it a little cooler- now that'd be a zero dollar performance improvement! Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Yeah. The stock system is a cold air intake. It's just a quiet and efficient one. Few other cars (until recently) have bothered to do what Bimmer did with theirs at the time. To increase roar, perhaps fashion a replacement filterbox in the same design as the stock one but make it out of alluminium. Open the front intake trumpet up like Kriss did. But I'd be sure to add an insulation in between it and the exhaust manifold so it doesn't heat up your intake air.

In saying this, I just thought- perhaps covering the intake box in alluminum foil would keep the air going through it a little cooler- now that'd be a zero dollar performance improvement! Nick
    I took out my airbox a bit ago and noticed that it has OEM metal heat shielding on the engine side.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Yeah, I like the increased induction 'roar'...
    ...of the sparrows as they get sucked into oblivion!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

hardware cloth in the opening stops birds rocks and baseballs from becoming lodged.
    Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    ...of the sparrows as they get sucked into oblivion!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy