GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 mpg!

Default 9 mpg!

That's what I get in the city driving in my 95 540i. A check engine goes on for a short period of time but I haven't been able to get any codes by doing the stomp test. I would suspect O2 sensors but one has maybe 35k miles on it and the other one about 12k. Isn't this a bit early for either of the sensors to go? Should I check anything else?

your parking brake is on

Default How heavy is traffic and how is weather conditions?

What mileage do you get on the open road? Mileage can vary greatly depending on road, weather, temperature and load in car. Even so, the check engine light is a concern and may relate to tune up, vacumn leak or perhaps a coil or injector problem.

For example, My 525i will get 9-12 in very heavy stop and go. 23-24 on daily commute and 28-30 on interstate. appears to be in good tune with no problems.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ra_pro
    That's what I get in the city driving in my 95 540i. A check engine goes on for a short period of time but I haven't been able to get any codes by doing the stomp test. I would suspect O2 sensors but one has maybe 35k miles on it and the other one about 12k. Isn't this a bit early for either of the sensors to go? Should I check anything else?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You are towing a school bus!

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    You are towing a school bus!
    No, it's the bus from the retirement home!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Ha! A bus full of coffin dodgers. I like it!!

Cheers,

Shaun

i've done 9mpg city in my car
    heavy foot but its not hard

The traffic is not bad at all. Plus it hasn't been too cold this winter. Until about two weeks ago with heavy foot and in S4 a lot of the times I was getting about 13-14 mpg. Now all of sudden the mpg dropped to a Veyron territory. The idle is not too bad but is not as smooth as it used to be and more inportantly it gets choppy after I press the gas and only smooths out at higher revs.

Default suspect a vacumn leak

Check the archives for vacumn leaks on the V8s. The V8s are known for vacumn leaks relating to the intake manifold and related. I know that many on this forum have posed about similar issues. You may need to take it to a mechanic to check for error codes to help determine the cause. Hope this helps. It seems most replies to your post are intended to be "comical"

The traffic is not bad at all. Plus it hasn't been too cold this winter. Until about two weeks ago with heavy foot and in S4 a lot of the times I was getting about 13-14 mpg. Now all of sudden the mpg dropped to a Veyron territory. The idle is not too bad but is not as smooth as it used to be and more inportantly it gets choppy after I press the gas and only smooths out at higher revs.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast