GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help diagnosing this problem

Default Help diagnosing this problem

Hey all you master mechanics......figure this one out. I have a 95 ESS supercharged 540i with the alusil motor swap done and about 102k on the body and 45k on the motor.
    Here is my problem. If the car sits for a few hours. Start it. Try to drive. Spits sputters misses out doesnt want to move. Once it gets to about 40-45% on the temp guage it runs absolutely fine balls out no problems. I have replaced the engine temp sensor because one, it was cheap and two, thought it might not be sending correct info to computer. Didnt make any difference. I have read alot about PCV valves but they seem to act up all the time.....or do they. Plus with the mileage of the motor didnt think it was relavent to my car. The car will idle just fine, just when you go to drive it.....acts up, then once to temp you can drive it like you stole it not a problem. Its kind of a pain in the ass....I have to sit there and let it warm up for 10 min before driving.
    What do you think?
    -Drew

Check for vacume leaks on the intake system, if you cant find any loose plumbing it could be the PCV plate/PCV plate gasket, front gasket/and or the intake gaskets.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You might also want to check out your O2 sensor.

02 sensor dont work til the car warms up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Check for vacume leaks on the intake system, if you cant find any loose plumbing it could be the PCV plate/PCV plate gasket, front gasket/and or the intake gaskets.

How do you recomend doing this? Just with good all carb cleaner? Are you suggesting that if it is a seal that it would expand once it got warm and then not have issues?

ought to let a car of that level heat up anyways. in F1 cars i hear they have to heat there oil before startign the cars as to not crack the block. maybe this is just the cars way of saying, "gimmie a second"

Default Which coolant temp sensor did you replace? the white one or the black one

Quote Originally Posted by dbals
    Hey all you master mechanics......figure this one out. I have a 95 ESS supercharged 540i with the alusil motor swap done and about 102k on the body and 45k on the motor.
    Here is my problem. If the car sits for a few hours. Start it. Try to drive. Spits sputters misses out doesnt want to move. Once it gets to about 40-45% on the temp guage it runs absolutely fine balls out no problems. I have replaced the engine temp sensor because one, it was cheap and two, thought it might not be sending correct info to computer. Didnt make any difference. I have read alot about PCV valves but they seem to act up all the time.....or do they. Plus with the mileage of the motor didnt think it was relavent to my car. The car will idle just fine, just when you go to drive it.....acts up, then once to temp you can drive it like you stole it not a problem. Its kind of a pain in the ass....I have to sit there and let it warm up for 10 min before driving.
    What do you think?
    -Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Hey Bill,
    I replaced the one that feeds the computer not the one that feeds the guage....I think it was black. Its the inner one on the back of the motor on the coolant cross over bar. Part # 12 62 1 747 281

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    ought to let a car of that level heat up anyways. in F1 cars i hear they have to heat there oil before startign the cars as to not crack the block. maybe this is just the cars way of saying, "gimmie a second"
    I agree that Idealy you should always let you car warm before driving, and cool after, however this just isnt right. It physically wont move.....like cant drive 40 ft.....until its warm

Default The white one is the one for the computer, the black one is the

one for the temp gauge.. You might doublecheck to make sure it was the white one you changed.

Quote Originally Posted by dbals
    Hey Bill,
    I replaced the one that feeds the computer not the one that feeds the guage....I think it was black. Its the inner one on the back of the motor on the coolant cross over bar. Part # 12 62 1 747 281

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast