GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost OT: Security Torx bits

Default Almost OT: Security Torx bits

Secure or "tamper resistant" Torx bits are a bear to find, and when you need one, you need one. I know I've run across a few in BMWs, but couldn't say where at the moment. Anyway, I was browsing in Harbor Freight tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find that they have recently added a nice set of Secure Torx and Star sockets to their lineup. The secure bits come in T-10, 15 20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, and 55. The star sockets are E-6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. The set costs $13. The stock number is P-36562. Comes with their usual lifetime warranty on hand tools.

I have a set of them and they seem real soft. They will serve their purpose but not on a tight one.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Our local hardware store has several sets of them (Canadian Tire). Home Depot has them too.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Funny, I've looked in a few of the local HDs and Lowes here within the last two years without any luck. Even the NAPA store which has a surprisingly good selection of unusual tools doesn't have them. The best I'd been able to find was a True Value Hardware that sold individual bits for $6-$8 each, and had only a few sizes.

canadian tire is the best. everytime i return to canada, i buy another (i think) 50 piece screwdriver set that comes in something the same width as a chequebook..$17.99. nobody in the US sells that many phillips,flat, robertson, and torx bits for that price, and somebody invariably steals one or two of the bits when i'm not looking.

as for the harbor freight. ill stop by there soon and pick one of these up, vice grips=\\torx security bits
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    canadian tire is the best. everytime i return to canada, i buy another (i think) 50 piece screwdriver set that comes in something the same width as a chequebook..$17.99. nobody in the US sells that many phillips,flat, robertson, and torx bits for that price, and somebody invariably steals one or two of the bits when i'm not looking.

as for the harbor freight. ill stop by there soon and pick one of these up, vice grips=\\torx security bits

In the US a Robertson bit is a security bit...
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Thats mostly true, the average person doesn't own a robertson driver, but has a few flat and phillips screwdrivers laying around.

However, I usually look for Robertson or torx drive screws whenever I do any construction or woodwork. They are harder to find than phillips drive and won't strip out the heads very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)

naaahhh
    people just stick a flat bladed screwdriver into it and twist it until a torx fits into it.

they should do one of them canada history commercials about it, along with other such canadian innovations as the milk bag......

cue somebody sayin "the only milk bags i know about are the ones on my gf"
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine

they should do one of them canada history commercials about it, along with other such canadian innovations as the milk bag......

cue somebody sayin "the only milk bags i know about are the ones on my gf"

LOL
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

know I've run across a few in BMWs, but couldn't say where at the moment.
    torx screws mount the door handles,under the trim.Hence the reason I have never remounted the trim on the rr door,never been able to find a bit(mind you I havent looked that hard)
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast