GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Any interest in adapter device for stock sound system?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to connect and control an ipod

20 58.82%
  • I would like an aux input

9 26.47%
  • I would like to connect and control a satellite receiver

1 2.94%
  • Forget the stock sound system

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipod instead of CD changer on stock radio

Default Ipod instead of CD changer on stock radio

I've wanted to plug an ipod in instead of my cd changer. My stock radio works fine (and I like the look), but I'd like it to control an ipod instead of the cd changer. I'd also like the ipod signal to enter directly rather than through a cassette adapter or FM transceiver.

I haven't found any aftermarket devices that do this for the E34 world. I was wondering if there are any others interested in such a device?

I'm using the cassette adapter for now, but soon will be upgrading head unit and ipod connection will be prority #1.

Greg Mendoza

Default After spending a weekend

Sync-ing my son's 2 gig MP3 player, I would really enjoy being able to hook one up, but not lose my CD Changer

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Brandon J

Cambridge--I hate anonymously polls. I want to know who the 7 people are who want ipods. I am the one person who wants satellite radio.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge
    I've wanted to plug an ipod in instead of my cd changer. My stock radio works fine (and I like the look), but I'd like it to control an ipod instead of the cd changer. I'd also like the ipod signal to enter directly rather than through a cassette adapter or FM transceiver.

I haven't found any aftermarket devices that do this for the E34 world. I was wondering if there are any others interested in such a device?
    I found one option. Install a BMW CD43, C43 or a C33. Bavauto sells an adapter that allows ipod and aux input. But if you have any of these heads forget your ipod and get a phat box or ice link. The head will look like stock and I think it even makes the interior look a little newer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Clark
    I found one option. Install a BMW CD43, C43 or a C33. Bavauto sells an adapter that allows ipod and aux input. But if you have any of these heads forget your ipod and get a phat box or ice link. The head will look like stock and I think it even makes the interior look a little newer.
    Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit. I still prefer the Harman Kardon unit though- perhaps it even allows one to avoid using a head unit altogether? I wonder if it will switch an amp remote on/off lead? Even if it doesn't all you need do is switch the accessory power to the H/K adapter and run the remote trigger from that as well.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit. I still prefer the Harman Kardon unit though- perhaps it even allows one to avoid using a head unit altogether? I wonder if it will switch an amp remote on/off lead? Even if it doesn't all you need do is switch the accessory power to the H/K adapter and run the remote trigger from that as well.

Wouldn't a pioneer head defeat the purpose of this thread? He wants to keep the head stock. My CD43 head is made by Blaupunkt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge

Man up, and buy a HK/Becker TrafficPro

Talking NAV, plays CDs, AM/FM, XM, iPod/etc.
    Last edited by MTechnik540i; 01-26-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit....
    ...and only allow access to the first ~300 songs on your iPod.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast