GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Machine shop rotated my valevtrain from TDC how can I make sure I don't mess it up?

Default Machine shop rotated my valevtrain from TDC how can I make sure I don't mess it up?

Just got my head back from the machine shop. He rotated the valvetrain even though I asked him not to do so. I have located the dowel in the lower left quadrant as before, I just want to make sure that I am not off by one sprocket tooth. Any advise would be appreciated. BY the way I have an M30 535i.

Unregistered Guest

The machinist had to rotate the cam shaft when he adjusted the valves. The pin is properly located in the left quadrant when the sprocket holes are parallel to the head plane when viewed from the front. If you wired the sprocket to the chain when you removed the head, rotate the camshaft to mate to the sprocket and bolt it together. Bentley suggests turning the engine several revolutions by hand, lining the crank pulley mark with the mark on the block and checking the cam sprocket position again. Take the time to refill and pump up the chain tensioner when finished.

Paul

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    The machinist had to rotate the cam shaft when he adjusted the valves. The pin is properly located in the left quadrant when the sprocket holes are parallel to the head plane when viewed from the front. If you wired the sprocket to the chain when you removed the head, rotate the camshaft to mate to the sprocket and bolt it together. Bentley suggests turning the engine several revolutions by hand, lining the crank pulley mark with the mark on the block and checking the cam sprocket position again. Take the time to refill and pump up the chain tensioner when finished.

Paul