GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: repair question high pressure hydraulic hoses

Default repair question high pressure hydraulic hoses

I already posted this on the E32 board on bimmerboard, but as I am in a bit of hurry to leave for Germany end of this week, maybe someone here can chime in which has already experience. I want to have the hoses replaced only and use the old steel lines . But cannot find a shop in Japan which will do it, as it is for power steering and they will not touch it. They do it for any other kind of high pressure hydraulic hose, but not for cars. These high pressure hoses are very expensive here and one costs around 250 $, so I will get them replaced in Germany.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/149423

I have had high pressure hydraulic hoses made here for our tractor- I was thinking it would be a cheap alternative to have them do exactly what you are trying to have done- but I have never personally had it done.

I don't see why they would have a problem with this, must be some sort of fear of liability. Maybe just ask them if they can do it, and don't tell them they are for a car- tell them they are for a piece of off-road equipment...

If the metal ends are in good shape, and they can get the proper size rubber hose, I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good as a new hose.

Bret.

Default I would NOT recom. rubber

If you are replaceing it with any thing other than original part, I won't recom. rubber hose, unless you have right equipment to test its pressure rating. It has to hold upto 2000 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    If you are replaceing it with any thing other than original part, I won't recom. rubber hose, unless you have right equipment to test its pressure rating. It has to hold upto 2000 PSI.

I certainly did not mean, nor did I think Shogun was attempting, to have these replaced with anything other than high pressure hydraulic hose. I mentioned "rubber" to distinguish between the 2 parts of the hose- the hard metal part and the "rubber" part- which is obviously reinforced rubber made to withstand high pressure.

Bret.

That are high pressure hoses made by Conti Tech in Germany. I have the exact specification and the same new hoses go onto the reman ones.
    I know from other people in USA that they had similar probs when they asked for replacement and were talking to their shops about high pressure hoses for cars.
    Here in Japan they do reman any kind of hoses for high pressure hydraulics like construction machinery, shovels, coal mining industry and so on. But not for cars they say. Must be fear of liability. But I believe a big crane in a shipyard powered by hydraulics and having a break down of hydraulics with 50tons hanging on the crane is more dangerous.
    These hoses are not for the brakes, they are for power steering assist and LAD.
    Anyway, I bring it to a special professional shop there and these are as spare for my stock.

Default I've had done before

Brakes, power steering and oil lines.

I just don't tell them it's for a street car, tell them it's for a race car, or boat and eight guys come up to the counter to check out what you're up to.

I bring in the old hoses and fitings, tell them the operating psi, temp and what type of duty-oil-gas-air. Good for custom jobs, but if there are mass produced lines available, they often turn out to be the cheapest.

Good luck
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 01-23-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Thanks, just got info from Rainman:

The typical procedure is to take and cut off the metal sleeve over the hose with grinder or cutoff wheel in a 4 inch grinder. Then you remove the old hose, you use a new sleeve with the old metal fittings and new hose, the new sleeve is crimped into place just like the original. I've seen some shops the silver solder the sleeve onto the original end and then install the hose and crimp but it seems like doing something completely useless to me.

i have had many a line rebuilt before i got the tools to swedge my own lines, i find the best thing to do is say it's for a forklift steering system and if they get nosy play dumb and say you are not the one working on it so you don't know what type of lift, unless they are a small crappy shop they will probably be using better hose then what came from the factory
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks Winfred,
    here some pics when I changed them on my Highline, need long extension to get into the engine room.
    And also a cause of the leak was that the p/o tightened the screws too much, broken screw, you cannot believe that
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/124919

yes i can, just sealed up a right lad on a 735il that was pissing bad, the car owner said it needed a shock the manager said it needed a hose i cleaned the teflon tape off the fitting (the dumbass must of installed) and tightened it down fixing the leak, then i proceeded to show him how his front suspension/steering was about to kill him

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    And also a cause of the leak was that the p/o tightened the screws too much, broken screw, you cannot believe that
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast