GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Proper flex hone size for M50 non vanos?

Default Proper flex hone size for M50 non vanos?

I forget the exact bore of the M50 non vanos but do I match the flex hone tool to that size or do I get one close? Or do I get one a few mm larger... Help!

Also, best way to clean carbon off of pistons? Pistons will be knocked from the block.

Default Its an 84 mm bore, so a 85 mm ball hone would be

fine, if there's any carbon at the top of the bore you have to remove that first before knocking the piston/rod assy's out. A one gallon bucket of carburator cleaner works for removing the carbon on the pistons. The kind you soak carbs in when rebuilding. Most places like autozone, checker , napa etc will have it in the big bucket. It comes with a little parts basket , take the basket out and wire the pistons together and leave them in the carb cleaner for a day or so. Remove and using a stiff toothbrush type brush ,scrub the pistons off and rinse. If you don't get it all off put them back in for another day and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I forget the exact bore of the M50 non vanos but do I match the flex hone tool to that size or do I get one close? Or do I get one a few mm larger... Help!

Also, best way to clean carbon off of pistons? Pistons will be knocked from the block.