GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentine 1 wiring and location options?

Default Valentine 1 wiring and location options?

Where do you all mount and tap in your Valentines? Being too lazy to worry about theft we tend to leave ours attached to the windshield. However, I'm going to be moving the Valentine from the old work truck E28 to the new work truck 525iT. On my E28 the main unit is mounted between the windshield and the bottom right side of the rear view mirror with it's rear sensor peeking out to the right side. The remote unit is mounted right in front of the instrument cluster so I see the speed when I glance at the detector signal. Downsides include removing the remote when I pull the cluster and reaching through the steering wheel to punch the sound button. On Sally's E30 the detector is mounted to the left of the rear view, no remote mounted. Downsides include not seeing the speed when glancing at the arrows and pushing the detector out of alignment when punching the sound button. So what's the hot ticket for mounting to the E34?
    Tom Walrod
    Last edited by calmloki; 01-23-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Hi Tom,
    I have mine on the lower left side of the rear view, just at the lower edge if the mirror. Its close enough so that cops and other people cant really see it (unless theres radar) and not obtrusive. I tried the right side and center but feel the left side is better for me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff, Thanks - where did you pick up power? A tap into the sunroof wiring?
    Tom

yes but I tapped a hot lead so I have to turn it on and off all the time. Theres a few hot leads in there that you have to check with a volt meter. Some leads must go to a relay cause they arent 12 volt, some others should shut off with the key off but remember you have to open the door for them to shut off. Kinda confusing for me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Good tips, thanks - I wouldn't have thought of the door open to shut off point.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yes but I tapped a hot lead so I have to turn it on and off all the time. Theres a few hot leads in there that you have to check with a volt meter. Some leads must go to a relay cause they arent 12 volt, some others should shut off with the key off but remember you have to open the door for them to shut off. Kinda confusing for me.

ya, just like you can open/close the sunroof and windows with the key off til you open a door. Thats how I taped the wrong lead (I think)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Got my V1 mounted - opted to go with the main unit mostly hidden between the windshield and the rearview mirror, passenger side, with the rear facing detector exposed to the rear. In that location the detector is almost completely hidden from the driver, but the both sunscreens open all the way to the windshield without touching the detector:

The wire from the detector down to the power/information distribution part tucks neatly into the front of the headliner and down the A pillar. No need to remove or loosen headliner or A pillar cover. The power I picked up from a fat purple wire coming from the steering column - had to pull the ('Murican) driver's knee bolster and the metal safety shield behind it - detector now comes on and goes off with the key. The remote indicator is mounted on top of the left dash speaker grill. Easy to get a spare grill so you don't have to poke holes in the dash. Easy to see the indicator at the same time you glance at the speedometer.
    Two negatives: a bit difficult to reach the remote indicator to push the button to silence the detector, and very difficult to reach the volume dial on the detector. On the positive side, detector is mounted as high as possible for earliest warning and the remote indicator is pretty well hidden from anyone who happens to be looking in your side window and asking for your license and registration! Best set of compromises for me.
    Tom Walrod

nice work! I read that if the windshield has tint up there it loses its effectiveness and loses complete lazer detection, thats why i have mine just under the mirror and below the tint.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Nice pics calmloki. I guess the radar detectors are hidden becasue they are illegal. What penalities are imposed if your caught with one?

Jeff, I read the same thing, and the detector is, as it should be, below the tint - can't get it any higher as the mirror and windshield get too close together.

BigKriss, detectors are legal here in Oregon, still, probably like waving a red flag at a bull flaunting one at a traffic cop. Mostly I just like an unobstructed view and am too lazy to pull the detector and then hook it up again all the time. Sure as anything I'd leave it unhooked and get a ticket with the detector in the glovebox! Also, no reason to have something really portable and theft-worthy in real plain view. We're busy dealing with twice our normal rain for January - 13" - look pretty green?
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast