GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 525i manual tranny, rebuilding or new?

Default 95 525i manual tranny, rebuilding or new?

Hi all,
    I have a 95 525i about 170k and am in need for a new manual tranny. It suffers from extreme whine almost all gears up to fifth, usually wont sync into first until the car has come to a absolute dead stop when its cold in the morning, it will after its been driven for about 5 minutes but is still very hesitant at times. The whole shifter in general is very loose.

It does still work and ive been hoping to wait until the spring, but im not sure if i can put up with this things shas much longer. When i replaced my clutch in the fall i changed the fluid in it and there was next to nothing left in it when i drained it. The new fluid dampened the sound a bit but its still horrible and didn’t fix anything.

Im looking to get quite a bit more out of this car if possible, my m50 shows no intensions of stopping and i love the car. But i dont know if i can rebuild this one or should i look for a used one? By the looks i can be paying $1k easy for a tranny thats still going to have 120k on. Is it possible to just strip mine down and buy some new bearings and syncros? It sounds like the engine from a e36 m3 is similar to the m50? Should i also be looking from a m3 tranny as a replacement?

Help! anything! please! Im dying here, you can hear my car coming literally from half a mile away and its not a civic.

Thanks You
    Tyler

Oh, i forgot to mention that my reverse sensor also does not work. Not a biggie but is this common?

~Tyler

When was the last time you pulled the fill plug? When was the fluid level last checked/or the fluid changed?

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    When was the last time you pulled the fill plug? When was the fluid level last checked/or the fluid changed?

best, whit
    Well, the only time i ever changed or checked the fluid in it was in september when i did the clutch. There was next to nothing in it when i drained it, under a pint. I have had this car for just over a year now so i really couldnt tell you if it had been replaced before then. It was still very noisy when i got the car, but its twice as bad now.

~Tyler

I think you should be able to find a good used tranny for ~$600 or so, $1000 is high unless it has REALLY low mileage on it, like 20-30k....

Getting that tranny rebuilt requires some special tools and know-how, and from what I've seen, probably ~$1500-2000.

I'd go with a good used one, and keep the oil level topped up- it should last for a long, long time.........

Not sure about applications, but I believe the E36 325i tranny should work as well, and there are plenty of those out there......

Bret.

Ok, ill keep looking

Thanks

i would get a factory rebuild with 2 year warranty
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    i would get a factory rebuild with 2 year warranty
    From a dealer or bavarian and such? Bav quoted me $1k on one with a 1yr warranty, what do you think i would pay from a dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by tgrandahl
    From a dealer or bavarian and such? Bav quoted me $1k on one with a 1yr warranty, what do you think i would pay from a dealer?

Be vewy vewy careful.....

There are at least 2 "Bavarian" named parts places. Bavarian AutoSport in NH sells new parts, Bavarian Auto Recycling in CA is a junkyard and sells used parts (mostly)- I think they also run a business called Bavarian Engine Exchange that sells "rebuilt" heads and engines- but the word on the 'net is that their quality control can be lacking.

For $1000, I'd be willing to bet it's a used tranny. I think "factory" rebuilt trannies are like ~$1500-2000.

Bret.

I know it was the one in NH because i had asked about picking it up, I didn't know there was one in CA though. He said it was used but didnt say much about it except that it was "rebuilt" and had a warranty. I suppose that should be good but has anyone ever bought one of these before? How much better could a dealer rebuild be?

~Tyler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast