GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should my M60 igniton coils arc sometimes???

Default Should my M60 igniton coils arc sometimes???

I noticed a few of the 8 coils arcing a little while running the engine the dark and the idle did not stumble when I saw the arcing. The arc ran along 1 of the sides of the square shape. Also, the arcing was infrequent, about every 30 seconds or so. The coils measure okay with the ohm-meter and my plugs are burning normal.

Is this typical for infrequent slight arcs and are the coils going bad?

Thanks

bad boots maybe
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

oil in plug holes?
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

first thing replace the plug boots! if the bottoms are oily remove the offending cylinders plugs to drain the oil, wipe the residual. get new plug boots and a valve cover gasket. if you let this go you can fry the coils and DME, which you dont want to do.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-21-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default New boots...only a few months old.

Replaced them and when replacing the plugs.

Default Bo.ots new and no oil found...

I changed the Bosch Plat 4 with NGK's and inspected the plug area and boots and no oil and boots new and no arcing marks(white powdery marks)

the arcing was probably the result of cracks in the coilpacks themselves, if the coilpacks are anything but new. i took off my original bosch coils, which, with the naked eye, look solid. but when i used a magnifying glass, i saw that almost all of them have hairline cracks, some of the cracks are not all the way through, but most were. those cracks allow the oil to leak out, and when the oil can leak out, the "charge" will jump out of the transformer and ground itself on your valve cover. if lowell says that bad coils can fry an ecu, i have no doubt that a cracked coil condition can do the same. check them with a magnifying glass if you are just changing boots, or cleaning them up and leaving the same units on.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Good point about the oil leaking out of old coils.

I will replace them as I do not know the age condition of them even though they measure within spec for resistance but visible arcing cannot be good based on what I'm hearing here.

Thanks.

what NGK's did you use?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'd only use the Bosch F7L DCR's. I've never heard a good story about moving away from these plugs in a BMW that required them (which seems to be all the VANOS systems in the '90's.) If the ngk is a multi ground resistor with the exact heat specs, I guess its ok. But you have to gap the ngk's no?
    .90mm-1mm is the spec and the bosch's come .90mm out of the box and are non adjustable.
    Last edited by tim; 01-24-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast