GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 Rear Subframe Bushings.... How do you

Default e34 Rear Subframe Bushings.... How do you

know its time to replace them? I have 195k on the car. I dont think they were ever replaced.

At speed - 95mph - I get a slight vibration that is constant as long as I am above 95. It does not go away and increases with Speed.

The tires are well balanced and have proper pressure. The rear shock are reasonably new.

Any ideas? Thanks - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

www.bmwe34.net overviews subframe bushing replacment.

I'm not convinced your vibration is related to the bushings. I might poke around driveshaft balance issues. Maybe a slightly worn halfshaft CV joint... Those items have a 1:1 relationship to roadspeed.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

I would first try the part Bruno made us... Delrin insert that is really inexpensive and may solve your problem, it has totally changed how the ass of my 540 feels.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Default be advised

Be advised that soap is not recomended to be used on the installation of e34 sub frame bushings. I read that it makes the bushings actully slip out of position. Can someone verify?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default I agree

I have used brunos sub frame bushings for over a year or so. Makes the rear end tighhten up a bit in the turns. Now I need to replace the rear struts.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default That is correct...

I can personally attest to this. Also the BMW factory service manual specifically advises only to use water to help ease the press in process.

Done it both ways...soap the first time (didn't RTFM close enough) and then water only the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Be advised that soap is not recomended to be used on the installation of e34 sub frame bushings. I read that it makes the bushings actully slip out of position. Can someone verify?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Yep, only water. That's what I used and it worked just fine. You don't need the soap. Just clean everything up and spray a bit of H2O on it and it goes together just fine.

Also, I highly recommend renting the tool from Koala Motorsports. Made the job a breeze.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

They're checked by inspecting them. They'll collapse when bad, but it's normal for them to have hairline cracking. Mine have 230,000 (apparently original) miles on them and ~ 5 more years of wear, no problems yet.

As Jeff said, I'd be looking at the driveshaft. A tire could also have a slipped belt. Call Beyer Motorworks in AZ (http://www.beyermotorworks.com...actually, Beyer Driveline -- http://www.beyerdriveline.com) and have them take care of it. Best driveshaft you can buy. EDIT: I guess you'll have to have a shop order it for you since they won't sell to the general public outside of AZ, I think.

We no longer rent tools, which was mentioned. People don't read the directions on the necessity of using lube on the threads and expensive tools were frequently getting one or two uses before they were trashed. So, if you end up doing this job at some point with the factory tools, use grease on the threads

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 01-21-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Been there and done that. Probably extended the life of the Subframe bushings till now! They were great and helped tighten up the suspension dramatically - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1