GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDIOT crashes Ferrari F50 on a pilon circuit!

Default IDIOT crashes Ferrari F50 on a pilon circuit!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45581/ferrari_f50_crash

driver needs some serious driver training!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

amazing no one was killed
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Something's strange. He turned the wheel hard right but the car went straight. I'm not going to buy the understeer story on an F50, especially at that speed. Maybe...maybe...a pedal error - could have been pressing both the brake and the gas at the same time with the same foot.

Can anyone else think of what happened??
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

It was apparently raining a bit, braked too hard, wheels locked up and he went straight! No antilock on a Ferrari?!?!!!!!!
    The track worker was very lucky not to get pinned under it.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I've seen that one before.

Yeah, the guy's brakes are clearly locked on the wet pavement, and he just winds on more and more lock while keeping his foot planted. Dumb.

No, no antilock on the F50. It's a track car.

I've seen another in-car video of an F50 owner showing off to a passenger on a track. He spins into a wall and totals the car. Sorry I don't have that vid anymore.

Some people have more money than ability...

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default No..i'm not buying that...

Watch the last part of the clip - the car clearly is going straight, constant speed, front wheels turned hard over, rears rolling.

If he was locked up, the car should be slowing and rears likely not turning.

After watching it again, I'm 99% sure the driver had both the brake and the thottle depressed concurrently.

We actually see this quite a bit at the track on novice days, particularly in the threshold braking drill. People are so focused on pressing the brake pedal that they don't realize they are also pressing the throttle. They realize it once they depress the clutch and the car engine races....

Additionally, I would suspect a very tight race pedal type arrangement on an F50. Something that a typical street car wouldn't have and a novice driver wouldn't be ready for. Seems pretty clear from this video that this was some sort of demo day.

I bet we have this situation. The guy had never driven an F50. Is out on a demo day. Goes to make the turn. Ties to hit the brake. Instead covers the brake and the throttle. Doesn't realize it. Fronts lock aided by wet pavement. The 500HP or so keep pushing the car forward. Driver is clueless as to why car won't stop or turn, is essentially frozen. Car goes off track.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    It was apparently raining a bit, braked too hard, wheels locked up and he went straight! No antilock on a Ferrari?!?!!!!!!
    The track worker was very lucky not to get pinned under it.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Watch the last part of the clip - the car clearly is going straight, constant speed, front wheels turned hard over, rears rolling.

If he was locked up, the car should be slowing and rears likely not turning.

After watching it again, I'm 99% sure the driver had both the brake and the thottle depressed concurrently.

We actually see this quite a bit at the track on novice days, particularly in the threshold braking drill. People are so focused on pressing the brake pedal that they don't realize they are also pressing the throttle. They realize it once they depress the clutch and the car engine races....

Additionally, I would suspect a very tight race pedal type arrangement on an F50. Something that a typical street car wouldn't have and a novice driver wouldn't be ready for. Seems pretty clear from this video that this was some sort of demo day.

I bet we have this situation. The guy had never driven an F50. Is out on a demo day. Goes to make the turn. Ties to hit the brake. Instead covers the brake and the throttle. Doesn't realize it. Fronts lock aided by wet pavement. The 500HP or so keep pushing the car forward. Driver is clueless as to why car won't stop or turn, is essentially frozen. Car goes off track.
    That sounds plausible.

While the fronts are clearly locked, he doesn't seem to be decelerating at all.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

no one was killed cuz its like 30 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45581/ferrari_f50_crash

driver needs some serious driver training!
    That's way too funny.

Just the idea of an F50 on an AutoX makes me giggle.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

you may giggle but its on the verge of death....not funny at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik540i
    That's way too funny.

Just the idea of an F50 on an AutoX makes me giggle.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast