GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heater Core Leak

Default Heater Core Leak

Hey all,

So I've been reading through all the threads i can find on the topic. Thanks to this forum, i successfully bypassed the heater core and don't have to top up coolant every second day (whoohoo!).

However winter isn't all that far away and we've been having shocking weather down here (for summer anyway) and i need to get it fixed relatively soon. I'm thinking about doing it myself but first i want to know all the possible things that could be wrong with the heater.

Before i bypassed it, at it's worst i could hear the sound of water running through the dash (it was at this time that i bypassed it), though i didn't have any leaks on the carpet.

I could also hear a rattle in the dash somewhere (metal or plastic on metal). this could be completely coincidental, though i think it could be something that has fallen off the heater (i have no idea what though)

Thanks everybody.

Welcome aboard Slip! Good to see another member from the southern hemisphere. Who do New Zealanders follow in the rugby? The All Blacks and anybody playing the Wallabies!!!
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Welcome aboard Slip! Good to see another member from the southern hemisphere. Who do New Zealanders follow in the rugby? The All Blacks and anybody playing the Wallabies!!!
    Lol, you're onto it buddy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slip
    Hey all,

So I've been reading through all the threads i can find on the topic. Thanks to this forum, i successfully bypassed the heater core and don't have to top up coolant every second day (whoohoo!).

However winter isn't all that far away and we've been having shocking weather down here (for summer anyway) and i need to get it fixed relatively soon. I'm thinking about doing it myself but first i want to know all the possible things that could be wrong with the heater.

Before i bypassed it, at it's worst i could hear the sound of water running through the dash (it was at this time that i bypassed it), though i didn't have any leaks on the carpet.

I could also hear a rattle in the dash somewhere (metal or plastic on metal). this could be completely coincidental, though i think it could be something that has fallen off the heater (i have no idea what though)

Thanks everybody.
    When and if I fix my heater core, I'm going to replace just about everything I can think of. You don't want to do that job twice.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA