GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M60 - Head Gasket failed (oil leak), what else should we do while it's apart?

Default M60 - Head Gasket failed (oil leak), what else should we do while it's apart?

OK, it's official, the head gasket is indeed the culprit of the oil leak into the galley and in order to fix, we gotta pull the heads. You can see the oil leaking from the head. FYI, valve cover gaskets are tight as are the PCV plate and aluminium tube. Leakdown and compression data all good.

So, we are going to pull the heads, send them out to the machine shop to make sure they are flat and put things back together. That's the short version of the story, as my shop (www.rhinewest.com) is currently figuring the costs and their ideas on what else we address while it's apart.

Now, I ask the board, what are the other things I should proactively address while we are in there? Let's brainstorm for a moment.

FYI, the car has 126k on the clock, intake seals, water pipes and o-rings, galley cover, heater hoses, etc. were all done at 100k by your's truely.

Would one want to potentially replace the timing chain? Any likelihood it has stretched over the years? Chain guides? Cyclonic oil separator?

Any other ideas?

I plan on diving the car for another couple of years at least, as I have personally addressed the other typical maintenance items. Within the past three years, all the typical suspension items have been recently replaced, all steering wearable items replaced, new p/s hoses, recent clutch (OK, I didn't do that one!), shift linkage rebuilt, new tranny mounts, motor mounts, guibo, belts, hoses, radiator, t-stat, water pump, etc. etc.

Car is in fine shape, until this head gasket issue!!!

Any ideas appreciated,
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

What galley do you see oil???

"OK, it's official, the head gasket is indeed the culprit of the oil leak into the galley and in order to fix, we gotta pull the heads. You can see the oil leaking from the head. FYI, valve cover gaskets are tight as are the PCV plate and aluminium tube. Leakdown and compression data all good."

Around the spark plugs? thats the valve cover gaskets. galley under the intake? thats the valve cover gaskets.

just cause the valve gaskets are tight definetly does NOT mean they are fine!

Unless of course you just WANT to pull the heads for the fun of it!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Super90
    OK, it's official, the head gasket is indeed the culprit of the oil leak into the galley and in order to fix, we gotta pull the heads. You can see the oil leaking from the head. FYI, valve cover gaskets are tight as are the PCV plate and aluminium tube. Leakdown and compression data all good.

So, we are going to pull the heads, send them out to the machine shop to make sure they are flat and put things back together. That's the short version of the story, as my shop (www.rhinewest.com) is currently figuring the costs and their ideas on what else we address while it's apart.

Now, I ask the board, what are the other things I should proactively address while we are in there? Let's brainstorm for a moment.

FYI, the car has 126k on the clock, intake seals, water pipes and o-rings, galley cover, heater hoses, etc. were all done at 100k by your's truely.

Would one want to potentially replace the timing chain? Any likelihood it has stretched over the years? Chain guides? Cyclonic oil separator?

Any other ideas?

I plan on diving the car for another couple of years at least, as I have personally addressed the other typical maintenance items. Within the past three years, all the typical suspension items have been recently replaced, all steering wearable items replaced, new p/s hoses, recent clutch (OK, I didn't do that one!), shift linkage rebuilt, new tranny mounts, motor mounts, guibo, belts, hoses, radiator, t-stat, water pump, etc. etc.

Car is in fine shape, until this head gasket issue!!!

Any ideas appreciated,

Hot cams!
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Default Leakdown and compression data all good.

Jeff has a good point. If a head gasket was messed up, wouldn't your leakdown and compression data be off?

Quote Originally Posted by Super90
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

maybe but theres still a chance that something else went awry, I dont believe that to be this case cause of his description of where he is seeing the oil. I havent read ov any headgasket failures on the M-60s in the last 2 years so I think this dude just wants to see what makes his engine tick. I would too but all them damn chains freak me out big time!

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Jeff has a good point. If a head gasket was messed up, wouldn't your leakdown and compression data be off?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well, the question should be "How much do you planing to spend?" Have the head checked for warp, cam wear, and leak/crack, valve seal. I would change the time chains, tensioner, maybe have the head reconditioned, ie. Change the lifters, valve guide, seat, valve, seal. Those kind of stuff. But of course, it all depend on how much$.

why pull the head is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw
    Well, the question should be "How much do you planing to spend?" Have the head checked for warp, cam wear, and leak/crack, valve seal. I would change the time chains, tensioner, maybe have the head reconditioned, ie. Change the lifters, valve guide, seat, valve, seal. Those kind of stuff. But of course, it all depend on how much$.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Well, I mean, if he does pull the head. I am not talking about "why"

I agree here, I just replaced the head gasket on my M30 engine, oil leaks happen in the valve cover, head gasket causes hell more trouble, oil/water mixture and heating up.

I never seen nor heard of a head gasket failure on an m60 that wasn't related to a failed/detached oil pump or a massive failure in the cooling system. Valve cover gaskets, pcv, intake manifold, sure; but a head gasket? With leakdown and compression showing normal it's pretty hard to believe. Most of the time when I find oil in the valley pan it came from the valve covers.

Anyway, if it is, you can bet it's due to your oil pump bolts loosening up (as they all do until they get the locktite). It probably loosened itself up enough so that the pump lost its seal, and therefore its lifting ability. The problem would ultimately manefest like an m30 that had cam oil starvation due to the banjo bolt working its way out.

The chain procedure, which will require remove the upper and lower timing covers, is easy, just measure the play with a straightedge and a caliper against spec. The chains are badass bro, I'd be stunned if they were that far out of spec. And inspect the plastic chainguides for wear/damage. they break and the pieces can clog **** up.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast