GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Bill R. -- any tips to pass along for Toyota V8 timing belt?

Default OT: Bill R. -- any tips to pass along for Toyota V8 timing belt?

The LandCruiser hit 100k & mama's out of town so I have a clear shot for doing the timing belt -- sink or swim, got 'til Sunday to have it done. Never done one before but looks pretty intuitive, mostly just removing alot of crap just to get to it. The shop wants $1000 & the 735i needs new tires, so I flipped a coin & lost!

The general impression I get from the web is to use OEM Toyo parts, inspect & re-use the old idlers & tensioner, replace the seals only if leaking, and get a new waterpump regardless. I thought doing the starter contacts was bad enough & now the belt -- geez, 2 in the same week, I must be nuts

Default Don, for what its worth here is the procedure, I haven't done a

landcruiser timing belt but i've done the lexus v8 sedan which is essentially the same thing.. no drama. Your friends are steering you right as far as the toyota timing belt, the tensioners do fail occasionaly but you'll see when you get it off Here's a pdf of the procedure
    Sorry about that post Winfred..

1000 bucks? I'm raising my rates for sure now...

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    The LandCruiser hit 100k & mama's out of town so I have a clear shot for doing the timing belt -- sink or swim, got 'til Sunday to have it done. Never done one before but looks pretty intuitive, mostly just removing alot of crap just to get to it. The shop wants $1000 & the 735i needs new tires, so I flipped a coin & lost!

The general impression I get from the web is to use OEM Toyo parts, inspect & re-use the old idlers & tensioner, replace the seals only if leaking, and get a new waterpump regardless. I thought doing the starter contacts was bad enough & now the belt -- geez, 2 in the same week, I must be nuts
    Last edited by Bill R.; 01-18-2006 at 11:47 PM.

dicks lifter rattle?! not done a v8 but the t100 v6 i did wasn't bad much easyer the the isuzu v6 that one was a pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    landcruiser timing belt but i've done the lexus v8 sedan which is essentially the same thing.. no drama. Your friends are steering you right as far as the toyota timing belt, the tensioners do fail occasionaly but you'll see when you get it off Here's a pdf of the procedure

1000 bucks? I'm raising my rates for sure now...
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Sorry about that, i've got it corrected now.

/
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    dicks lifter rattle?! not done a v8 but the t100 v6 i did wasn't bad much easyer the the isuzu v6 that one was a pain in the ass

Default Toyo timing belt

Thanks so much Bill for the .pdf, that's exactly what I need! I put about 2 hrs into it tonite & have her about 1/2 way torn apart, enough to see the belt is still in great shape, much better than I thought it would be. Here's a pic of the progress. If all goes well, I won't have any problem having it together by Saturday afternoon. (gotta work my day job ya know & can only do fun stuff like this on evenings & weekends) I like how Toyota routes a coolant line thru the spin-on oil filter housing, just wish they used bigger filters, those tiny things can't do squat.

Thanks!

Don

Default Don, with those belts you can't really tell much until you

get if off the car and bend it backwards... then frequently if you look at the base of each tooth you can see where its cracking. I rarely see broken belts anymore, instead they peel enough teeth off say ,6 inches or so that the crank just spins without turning the cams and havoc ensues... That oil cooler has two functions, it helps to warm the oil up faster to get it to the correct temp and it cools the oil, you'll notice that its a spacer, some models of toyota don't have it. Also sometimes you'll get an oil leak that looks like the filter area but its really the oring between the cooler spacer and the block.. I had a customer once who kept taking his car to jiffy lube for the oil change and he came to me complaining of oil leaks, i found the drain plug threads stripped from overtorque and it was leaking at the filter housing where the spacer goes.. I told him this, he took it back to jiffy lube and they changed the filter claiming it was the filter and they denied the drain plug; and told him it was the oil pan, he brought it back to me yada yada and told me that they said this, he did this repeatedly wanting me to agree with them as to the cause. After about 4 trips back and forth he wanted me to change the oil pan gasket.. I said okey dokey the customers always right.. changed the pan gasket and it continued leaking, then went back to jf again and same story, he finally brought it back to me and i fixed what i thought was wrong in the first place, helicoiled drain plug and replaced the oring in the oil cooler spacer... all leaks fixed but lost the customer after that because he didn't like me becoming argumentive with him over the cause of the leaks.
    Anyway everytime i see one of the cooler spacers i think of this guy..

Thanks so much Bill for the .pdf, that's exactly what I need! I put about 2 hrs into it tonite & have her about 1/2 way torn apart, enough to see the belt is still in great shape, much better than I thought it would be. Here's a pic of the progress. If all goes well, I won't have any problem having it together by Saturday afternoon. (gotta work my day job ya know & can only do fun stuff like this on evenings & weekends) I like how Toyota routes a coolant line thru the spin-on oil filter housing, just wish they used bigger filters, those tiny things can't do squat.

Thanks!

Don
    Last edited by Bill R.; 01-19-2006 at 08:55 AM.

Default By the way your throttle plate looks

icky poo

Thanks!

Don

im really trying not to be racist or anything....but i'd wonder why toyota would make an 8 cylinder engine (or any engine) with two timing belts on it. but i guess they know best about reliability and such.

sorry, i read it wrong. that would be a stupid thing to do, anyway.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 01-19-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."