GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 24hrs of Daytona - Jan. 28-29

Default 24hrs of Daytona - Jan. 28-29

Hey guy,
    Wondering if anybody is planning on attending this year, looks like the event is getting a lot of attention because of all the famous names that'll be participating this year, *cough*Danica*cough*.

Anyway, it looks like we'll be driving down next Friday if anybody is interested in getting together. This is a 24hr event, so a great one to hook up with a lot of people.

Post/PM/Email if you're interested.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Not this year, but I've been a couple times in the last few years. My advice would be to buy the 3 or 4 day "superticket" for like $75-80- I think you might have to buy it in advance to get the best deal. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay- head to the beach, most of the hotels there are dying for guests at this time of year, we stayed at an old- but clean and cheap place on the beach 2 years ago for ~$35 per night.

Bring earplugs. If you're lucky enough to be able to get a pit pass, bring some nomex to wear as they are pretty stringent requiring nomex in the pit area. Many of the guards at the speedway also seem to love to enforce "rules" that may or may not exist- best bet is to politely comply with their request, or you may be removed from the track.

There are lots of support races in the days leading up to the 24hr race, some really good racing usually.

Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Not this year, but I've been a couple times in the last few years. My advice would be to buy the 3 or 4 day "superticket" for like $75-80- I think you might have to buy it in advance to get the best deal. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay- head to the beach, most of the hotels there are dying for guests at this time of year, we stayed at an old- but clean and cheap place on the beach 2 years ago for ~$35 per night.

Bring earplugs. If you're lucky enough to be able to get a pit pass, bring some nomex to wear as they are pretty stringent requiring nomex in the pit area. Many of the guards at the speedway also seem to love to enforce "rules" that may or may not exist- best bet is to politely comply with their request, or you may be removed from the track.

There are lots of support races in the days leading up to the 24hr race, some really good racing usually.

Bret.

Thanks for the info Bret, those accomodations sound like a good idea. Still considering camping though.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Everyone should experience the 24hrs at least once before they put you in the ground. When I lived in Fla in another lifetime, I was fortunate to work turn 6 (last infield bend onto the banks) for 6 or 7 24hr races. The sites, sounds and smells are there for a lifetime. I can still see Hobbs' 320 blowing flames in the sunset...never saw him at night because they always broke.The CSLs running in formation like a fighter squadron. The M1 Red Lobster or Hurley and Greggs 935 glowing in the dark. When it ends your ears can't comprehend the "silence". The infield is quit the party center. Not as much as a animal kingdom as at Sebring but close. Enjoy. Wish I could go again.
    Rob

Default Good Reasons To Go

Remeber, this year is the 30th anniversary of BMW's victory in the 24Hr with Peter Gregg in a CSL. The car should be there along with some sort of BMW hoopla. I will say DIS does a good job of promoting the historic aspects of sports car racing @ the 24Hr.

BUT, as mentioned, do not run afoul of DIS minions. You will not win. They do not care who they piss off. For every customer they runoff there are 20 to take his place. They know this & treat customers poorly, IMHO.

That said, this will be my 23rd 24Hr. A bunch of us go every year & get a reserved slot & rent a motorhome. Stop by Slot #22, unless we can score the unassigned spot by the West Horseshoe, for wings, boiled peanuts etc.

The advice about going out to the Beach for a room is spot on. Try Mr. Lee @ The Royal Beach Inn.

Also, the Four-Day Ticket is the deal, and if you purchase before Friday @ the track you can still get the advance purchase price, unless they have changed that this year. And do not try to scam your way into the pits after the race is under way. But, before the Start the Grid is open and you can walk the length of the starting field & see & talk with every racer you want to.

I wouldn't miss it. It's a great way to start the season. I might not get to another race all year, but this one holds me over.

Earplugs & sunscreen are a must. Hope to see some of y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW
    Remeber, this year is the 30th anniversary of BMW's victory in the 24Hr with Peter Gregg in a CSL. The car should be there along with some sort of BMW hoopla. I will say DIS does a good job of promoting the historic aspects of sports car racing @ the 24Hr.

BUT, as mentioned, do not run afoul of DIS minions. You will not win. They do not care who they piss off. For every customer they runoff there are 20 to take his place. They know this & treat customers poorly, IMHO.

That said, this will be my 23rd 24Hr. A bunch of us go every year & get a reserved slot & rent a motorhome. Stop by Slot #22, unless we can score the unassigned spot by the West Horseshoe, for wings, boiled peanuts etc.

The advice about going out to the Beach for a room is spot on. Try Mr. Lee @ The Royal Beach Inn.

Also, the Four-Day Ticket is the deal, and if you purchase before Friday @ the track you can still get the advance purchase price, unless they have changed that this year. And do not try to scam your way into the pits after the race is under way. But, before the Start the Grid is open and you can walk the length of the starting field & see & talk with every racer you want to.

I wouldn't miss it. It's a great way to start the season. I might not get to another race all year, but this one holds me over.

Earplugs & sunscreen are a must. Hope to see some of y'all.
    Will do Mark,

Would like to get together with your group, check your PMs.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

-Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Wish I could go. Team Seattle is running again and I know three of the drivers from our club events. What a hoot it must be.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy