GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil not getting to the head cams lifters etc.

Default Oil not getting to the head cams lifters etc.

hello,

As i have mentioned previously i have had a clicking problem, definitely happens just after a rev the car a bit and on hot afternoons, so i guess its probably the oil pump gasket or whatever that gasket was that caused the oil to foam. Question is would it be possible to reduce the foaming by switching to a synthetic, atm my car is running on a castrol multigrade (GTX 3 i think), would it be worth my while to try synthetic 15W-50 or similar grade (keep in mind its hot up here)?

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default banjo bolts

Have you checked to make sure the banjo bolts that hold the oil rail on top of the lifters are tight? Adjust your valves and check the banjo bolts.

Default No , it won't reduce the foaming and no synthetic won't help

either. The only solution to prevent long term damage to the motor is to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    hello,

As i have mentioned previously i have had a clicking problem, definitely happens just after a rev the car a bit and on hot afternoons, so i guess its probably the oil pump gasket or whatever that gasket was that caused the oil to foam. Question is would it be possible to reduce the foaming by switching to a synthetic, atm my car is running on a castrol multigrade (GTX 3 i think), would it be worth my while to try synthetic 15W-50 or similar grade (keep in mind its hot up here)?

I have a nice clicking noise also, mainly after it first starts up after sitting for at least 8 hours (less in colder weather) On cold cold cold mornings when its 10 degrees F I get the clicking for a minute or to, but no noise when revving.
    I assume these are my rocker arms? When I replaced the cam chain I also replaced every gear/sprocket/idler I could just to be safe although, it was probably unnecessary. Its a project I could undertake this winter if I can determine what the source of the noise is. Then I can bust out the old Peugeot for a while
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

might be the oil canister check valve, theres a write up on brunos site.
    Quote Originally Posted by NovceGuru
    I have a nice clicking noise also, mainly after it first starts up after sitting for at least 8 hours (less in colder weather) On cold cold cold mornings when its 10 degrees F I get the clicking for a minute or to, but no noise when revving.
    I assume these are my rocker arms? When I replaced the cam chain I also replaced every gear/sprocket/idler I could just to be safe although, it was probably unnecessary. Its a project I could undertake this winter if I can determine what the source of the noise is. Then I can bust out the old Peugeot for a while
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NovceGuru
    That's normal, but what Rob describes is not.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

That's hydraulic lifter or vanos unit noise. The M50 is DOHC, so it doesn't have rockers. The lifters and or oil pump will wear over time, which means the lifters don't pressure up as quickly on cold starts, especially with environmentally colder oil.

best, whit

mine is a non-vanos, yeah i can't say that it seems to happen at a certain time, its just f*****d. may also get valvetrain rattle at rpm over 3000 in fact i am sure thats what the unusual noise is. so I figure i have a c**tish oil pressure problem, will have to get a gauge me thinks. and just recently my exhaust f*****d up, POS e34 m50 , i am starting to hate this car.
    Last edited by rob101; 01-17-2006 at 04:18 PM. Reason: removing excess cursing

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    .......POS e34 m50 , i am starting to hate this car......
    Well at least she looks good, is a 5 speed and has nice wheels....all that's gotta count for something....
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Rob, I didn't mean for that response to be directed at your query, rather towards the post made by "NovceGuru".

I don't know how many miles are on your car, but it's 13 years old. Any 13 year old car is going to have some issues to address, and, dare I say, they're quite limited problems when compared to most of the junk on the roads these days. For example, the exhaust. Unlike on my toyota (going back a few years here), if you replace the system with the new OEM parts, it'll last another 13 years. Aforementioned toyota received a factory new catback system with a lifetime warranty from the dealer sometime around '95, then consistently went in for replacement every few years until it threw a rod in June 2001.

I was quite pissed off when Fritz left me stranded on the highway last year, especially after having spent 5 gees in parts and untold hours of my time on the car. But I reconciled.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast