GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Brake Upgrade 735iL -> ?

Default Brake Upgrade 735iL -> ?

So after looking around on the net I am pondering upgrading brakes on my 735iL

What are the current specs/dimensions o fhte stock 735iL setup?
    Does anything larger directly swap over?
    E31 brakes or newer M5 or something any benefit even if they are direct swap overs?
    For the price of getting complete used brakes compared to getting a Brembo Big Brake kit, is it worth it?
    Slotted better then drilled? I've heard drilled crack very easy compared to slotted rotors.

Why am I upgrading? Well the 7 is goign to be my touring car with upgrades. 19" rims and shitty little disc brakes don't look very good and don't help with stopping wiht that much rolling mass. If I go all out on this car *have a beater for a daily* then I will be enter the car is shows as well as tracking the car all the time next summer so yes bigger brakes will help me out. Better to be safe then sorry.

I've searched on here for 735 brakes and such but not alot of luck, will continue my search and keep this thread updated, if you guys have information or links please post them

Tr to get the bigger ones used on the 750 for German Autobahn, that was special version for Germany, ventilated, bigger than the normal ones, and 4 calipers.
    But difficult to get uses calipers. Everybody is looking for them.
    The differences of diameters is shown on the realoem parts catalog. Just switch to a EU version instead of US specification 750, and select one model after 1990, because before that date even the German 750 had the standard size like 735/730/740.
    And at the same time the front spoiler lip was changed to 2 inlets on each side for cooling the front brakes. That is not just only the spoiler lip, but ducts to the brakes to bring cooling air directly to the brakes.
    Before that there was only one slot on the drivers side on the 750 spoiler lip, that was for the alternator air cooling. On the 2 hole spoiler the alternator is also aircooled with a split of the duct.
    The E38 in comparison has an water cooled alternator.

These bigger ventilated brakes and the 4 piston calipers will stand everything you drive, as it stands high speed Autobahn braking.
    Actually, the bigger brakes are fading less or later, and that is only in case you brake from high speeds such as 280 kmh down to lets say 80 several times quickly in a short time. And when can you do that under normal conditions in your country?

I've actually done it a few times , Not 280km but 155mph lately. If I stop screwing up my wheels and upkeep this thing a little more probably even more often.

Thats not the point, somethign that hauls this 4000lb+ beast down to a stop quicker then stock is always a good thing for me.

Any chance you got some better calipers lying around your lot then what I got?

Also one question shogun. Right now I basically have highway gearing in the 735, what rear end is in them stock? What would be a good rear end upgrade to make it snappier around town and off the line.

For exmaple goign for a 2.83 in my Old Regal to a 3.73 made one hell of a difference off the line, made my top end disappear but off the line. I don't need somethign that big of a change but maybe one or 2 steps up. What do you recommend?

In Japan we do not have the bigger brakes. Max 100 kmh and that is heavily controlled by police. So I have no problem with my normal brakes. But I always buy my brakes and the pads from BMW, no problem with them.

Final drive ratios world wide used:

730 iA from 09/88.......: 4.10
    730 iA Switzerland......: 3.64
    730 iA Switzerland from 09/89....: 4.10
    730 iA Australia /Japan..........: 4.27
    730 i M60 engine..............: 3.15
    730 il M60 engine.............: 3.15
    730 iA M60 engine.............: 3.23
    730 iAL M60 engine............: 3.23
    735i..........................: 3.45
    735 iA........................: 3.45
    735 iA from 09/88.............: 3.91
    735 iA Switzerland from 09/89.: 3.91
    735 iA Australia..............: 3.64
    735 iA Australia from 9/89....: 3.91
    735 iA USA / Canada / Japan...: 4.27
    740iA.........................: 2.93
    740iAL........................: 2.93
    750iA.........................: 3.15
    750iAL........................: 3.15
    750 iAL USA / Canada / Japan..: 3.64

735 iA USA / Canada / Japan...: 4.27

God damn....
    Thats a high ratio, how can I make that even snappier off the line? I'm checking up on diffsonline right now.

I have a set of US M5 front brake calipers and carriers for sale. These will be coming off of my car shortly, and originally came from Jason's M5. I'm keeping the rears.

The fronts will be freshly rebuilt (although they were done up before) and can be bead blasted and primed or painted prior to sale. I also have two virgin front rotors, so all you'd need would be the pads of your choosing.

According to Rob, these produce 720 ft lbs torque, which is the second highest amount of any BMW caliper that he knows of (read BMWE34.net for all of the other juicy details).

I'll entertain offers, but I may just end up selling them on eBay.

best, whit

shogun would those work on my car?

lowell can you get some specs for them, what exact car they came off, dimensions, 4pot 2pot, 720 is a good number.

I'm def. interested.

If whit says they fit, they fit.