GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse has turned into neutral

Default Reverse has turned into neutral

Hi Guys, I just got my 2nd Bimmer (1990 535i).

I also have a bit of a problem and would love some assistance if possible. I have the 4HP 22/EH 4 speed auto tranny (according to bently manual), it is running perfect in every aspect except reverse is now another neutral. It started that reverse didnt engage right away and after moving from park again was fine, from there it has gone completly. It is seemingly an electric fault and I have taken the top of the tbar apart, cleaned the lot, contacts etc. All I have to go off is this little piece of info

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

"• Heres a tech tip from Anthony Waner: 91 525i if you loose reverse,,check out the following..the lock out valve located in the small pan on the drivers side is a magnetic switch, if you loose reverse for no reason first get this checked out ..cheap part from the dealer 46$ quick fix."

Can anyone tell me more info regarding this prob? Thanks.

A '91 525 has a GM 4l30e in it; completely different transmission.

Not to be an *******, but I've BTDT, talked and written about it numerous times on the forum, and a lot of info can be had by doing a search. Please be sure to read this sticky: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14093

And this one, too:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17366

Now, in summary:

- If the dash display indicates that the car is in reverse (ER for US models), the problem isn't electrical. Neutral Position Switch contacts are good, transmission control unit is getting the info it needs.
    - The 4hp-22 has an entirely mechanical reverse; there are no solenoids, to my knowledge, that can prevent the car from going into reverse. Therefore, if the shift linkage is properly aligned and the car doesn't go into reverse, the trans has an internal problem.
    - Is the trans fluid burnt or bad? Mine was, and I bought the car with no reverse after being told that it was a programming issue (ha ha). I drove the car about 600 miles with no reverse, but I have a feeling the damage was done long before I got my hands on the thing. It was determined that the trans had remachined its F clutch basket. Hard parts are available for these, but it made more sense to buy the ZF factory reman, which is what I did.

best, whit

Default If besides not having reverse, you also lost ...

engine breaking in 1st gear (The car seems to be in neutral down the hill in first gear), the must probable cause is that you have a dammaged brake D package. As you have no Trans error message, it is not an electrical/electronic fault. Guess you did service your oil and filter, so will discard a filter and oil change will fix it.

You can also have valve body issues, but when you service your transmission, they will find.

Javier

yeah no problem mate, I have searched high and low for hours and hours trying to find a solution to this, including the searches on this site. I really didnt feel I had the exact symptoms of many similar cases. I have reluctantly posted, and I know forum manners having been a longer term member of another forum and seen rude new people come in, get what they need and leave all the time. Anyway thanks for your info. Love the cars but just cant work this thing out right now. BTW i put my vin number into the BMW vin number decode and it said I have the 4HP-22/H tranny. Not knowing much about it I will not try to say I know what i am on about but thats what it says.

The dash is fine, I cleaned all the contacts too.
    Reverse worked seamlessly with no sign of problems, even when it did pause and I had to change to park again then back to R to make it go, it was fine.
    There are no sounds, burning, smells from inside or outside the car.
    I really thought given the nature of the disfunction, from using reverse and 5 mins later it did not go that electrical sound the way. Anyway I have not changed the fluids or filter and this has not been done for around 4 years according to the service records (ws serviced by BMW all it's life till I got it)

Thanks again

also i found this in a little BMW auto tranny pdf i downloaded

"Reverse Lockout
    The TCM will lockout reverse above 3 MPH to prevent drivetrain damage. The range selector
    lever will go into the reverse detent, but reverse will not engage. This is achieved by the
    TCM through hydraulic intervention. The transmission will appear to be in neutral."

This sounds exactly like my car. Do you know what you need to do to fix reverse lock out??

Default Yours is a 4hp22, ...

the tip you get in is for a GM (91 525).

We are sometimes sort of sensitive on this search issue, but always happy to help. Search is nice, but we understand that sometimes you don't even know what to search for.

I went trough what you are now, and also was hopping the fix would be as simple ase cleaning or re-attaching a wire connection, if not, replacing a solenoid or maximum the valve body, but no, my 4hp22 had to go through a complete overhaul.

Luckily I'm not in USA so I only paid about the equivalent of USD 1000. Car has been running great since then.

Javier

Default At that time, also learned that the last model that ...

included the Solenoid 4 (Reverse Gear Inhibit Lock solenoid valve), was late 88 early 89.

If you want to confirm yours has no solenoid 4, just confirm there is no wire coming into pin 2 of trany connector (see picture of plug).

Javier
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Javier, I was about to do a search for your name as I just read your large problems which are exactly the same as mine. I really thought that because this problem is not got anything to do with the other gears it was some silly magnetic valve or solenoid. Anyway what exactly is the problem then? and what do they do to overhaul the tranny? Thanks

also where is this plug located? under the car or under the tbar selector in the centre console?

Default This also might help some.

Quote Originally Posted by F4Phantom
    also where is this plug located? under the car or under the tbar selector in the centre console?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast