GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Motronic Trigger Details

Default Motronic Trigger Details

I am planning to change the engine management system on my car for something that runs full sequential. Right now, I use a Haltech E6k that uses a trigger off a cam wheel. It runs multipoint (all injectors together every cycle) and does not provide enough info for full sequential.

Looking at my crank trigger wheel, I don't think it is standard M30 as my bottom end is based on a 745 (turbo) block., and even if that was a motronic set up, its been modified at some point.

I was under the impression the stock E34 535i ran a Bosch motronic 1.3 engine managemeny system and used a 60-2 teeth crank trigger wheel? Can someone please confirm is this is the case.

If so, it helps me out because I can make the crank a stock 60-2 trigger and use my current cam sensor for full sequential triggering system. Also, does anyone know it the stock motronic trigger uses reluctor type pick ups or if its square wave hall effect pick ups.

Thanks.
    Last edited by beetos; 01-14-2006 at 11:58 PM.

B,Defenitly 60-2 motronic.And magnetic pickups.Not Hall..
    The e6k is a giant mangement system,why go for full sequential anyway?Its means nothing after about 3500rpm..
    Im running Haltech e11 v2 ,but in batch firing mode..

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    B,Defenitly 60-2 motronic.And magnetic pickups.Not Hall..
    The e6k is a giant mangement system,why go for full sequential anyway?Its means nothing after about 3500rpm..
    Im running Haltech e11 v2 ,but in batch firing mode..
    Seconded. This is the reason why M30-ists (so far) have had trouble deciding to use the Megasquirt injection system (my preferred route so that I have the option to upgrade the engine in future, log data and write new maps) and take advantage of new features developed for the system as and when I need.

From my meagre SI knowledge gives you individual control per cylinder. Is your engine blueprinted Beetos? The Megasquirt documentation has this to say on the benefits of sequential injection:
    • you may get slightly better mileage and lower emissions at low engine speeds,
    • you can tune each cylinder's fuel amount independently (if you know how).
    The effect on maximum horsepower is general negligible.

However I know manufacturers use it to manage emissions more smartly (but in some cases this has meant an o2 sensor on each cylinder).

There is a great bit on the general functioning of sequential injection at the bottom of this page however it may or may not be taking into account considering forced induction as a lot of MS equipped cars have this these days, especially M20/M50/M52-powered cars.

Incidentally, what is it about a Motec, Haltech, Microtec or other system that makes it a better solution than using Megasquirt (forgive my ignorance) but I know they are mega-expensive...

I may be wrong, but I cannot imagine that the documentation supplied with a boxed ignition can in any way be as comprehenisve as what the online community provides with Megasquirt... especially with a heavily modded turbo setup... have you looked into it Beetos? MS requires mods for an M30 to run with T-62 (hardware or software), but someone will do it soon... and these is support for 2 banks of coils (which I think you have from memory) - with up to 10 injectors on each. , water, ethanol, NOS injection and so on, plus the software is open-source.

Have you checked it out at any length? What were your conclusions?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks, I looked into my current Haltech cam wheel trigger system and it would probably be easier to modify this than put the motronic stuff back on. I like the Haltech cam mounted trigger becuase it can outputs a hall signal and they have a sensor that can provide separate speed and sync signals from the one cam mounted unit for a clean install.

I like the E6k a lot as I like the older DOS programming interface but I want to run sequential. The problem with the E6k set up on my car is that I use wasted spark which uses 3 outputs and does not allow me to run even batched injection with the remaining outputs.

I use multipoint injection (all at once), with 6 injectors running off 3 injector drivers. Currently running 770cc injectors but will be going with 850cc soon as I need bigger at high boost. Idle and part throttle with the big squirters operating all together in multipoint mode is not that great and you have to run very rich to get stable running. I am trying to run 770cc pintle style injectors at 1.5ms to get a decent AFR at idle and they don't like it much in multipoint mode. Also, I get some noticable bad pulsing in the fuel rail and very poor off boost fuel consumption. I think the stock Motronic runs batch (2x3 injectors) which is possible with the 60-2 trigger as it gives a TDC reference.

I agree full sequential makes little difference at higher duty cycles but I think it gives a much better idle and part throttle control with big injectors. Also, with the E6k, the 3 drivers that run the 6 injectors run (2 in parallel on each channel) draw a lot of current which can lead to unstable low duty cycle operation.

I am seriously looking into Haltech E11v2 as it has the ability to run 6 indepedent injector channels with very good peak and hold drivers (selectable current), while running full 6 channel direct fire ignition. Very cool as I already have 6 coils and 2x3 channel ignitors. It also has a wicked closed loop boost control which can be mapped to gears, and a massive number of inputs/outputs, both digital and user configurable PWM. The logging on it is very very good so I am told. Barry, please give me your feedback on as I would love to hear from a fellow E34 user.

I am also looking into an Autronic SM2 as that has traction control or the SM4which has knock control. Have not really looked into the MS set up but will have a look.

Ideally I want an AEM race system as that does everything I want, but there is no support in Oz. I used one in the states and it was an amazing system, I wish they supported in in Oz.
    Last edited by beetos; 01-15-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Waking this one up again, I am still in deep contemplation about an engine management system for the beast. My latest plan was to keep the Haltech E6k and install a Racelogic traction control from the UK. Unfortunatley, I learned after fitting the racelogic TC that it could not sink enough current to work with my 2ohm injections and P&H drivers so its on its way back (it selectively cuts injection to control engine power).

I have a renewed interest in the Autronic SM2 as it has a really good traction system on it. I was wondering if anyone has experience with it and where I could get one for 'good' money? Also, I am trying to work out what kind of triggers it can use (mag/hall/patterns etc).

Cheers