GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pressure wash problems

Default Pressure wash problems

Hey,
    Yes i did pressure wash my engine but not the whole thing... I used lowe pressure to wash the engine down and then i used high pressure on the powersteering pump, resivoir, and lines. (fluid wouldn't come off any other way) So that general area got high pressure. And the rest of the engine i just used low pressure (hose pressure) to clean. Then i used high pressure on the under side of motor.

After that and the rest of the day the car ran fine. i took it on the freeway to get it nice and hot ot beshure all of the water got evaporated. then i let it idle in my driveay for about 8 minuts or so. (ran fine during all of this)

So this morning i start the car and go into the house and grabed something to come out and hear a really rough idle. i figured it was just the cold so i back out and drive down the street and it felt like 2 or 3 of the cylenders wernt fireing. So i figured water soaked into the coil holes or something so i drove to school with it missing like that. and it got better as i drove (sustaining 5000 for a minut seemd to make it run ALOT better) then i parked my car at the school. 3 hrs later i go to leave to lunch and its even worse than befor. so i know the engine is fine because if i engine brake the engine runs perfactly smooth with no vibration or noises. but once i give it past like 1/8 pedal it starts missing but when i use 1/8th pedel at any rpm it runs fine. So im lost from here. Im going to put my stock chip back in the ecu to rule the EBAY chip out. any other advice?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    Hey,
    Yes i did pressure wash my engine but not the whole thing... I used lowe pressure to wash the engine down and then i used high pressure on the powersteering pump, resivoir, and lines. (fluid wouldn't come off any other way) So that general area got high pressure. And the rest of the engine i just used low pressure (hose pressure) to clean. Then i used high pressure on the under side of motor.

After that and the rest of the day the car ran fine. i took it on the freeway to get it nice and hot ot beshure all of the water got evaporated. then i let it idle in my driveay for about 8 minuts or so. (ran fine during all of this)

So this morning i start the car and go into the house and grabed something to come out and hear a really rough idle. i figured it was just the cold so i back out and drive down the street and it felt like 2 or 3 of the cylenders wernt fireing. So i figured water soaked into the coil holes or something so i drove to school with it missing like that. and it got better as i drove (sustaining 5000 for a minut seemd to make it run ALOT better) then i parked my car at the school. 3 hrs later i go to leave to lunch and its even worse than befor. so i know the engine is fine because if i engine brake the engine runs perfactly smooth with no vibration or noises. but once i give it past like 1/8 pedal it starts missing but when i use 1/8th pedel at any rpm it runs fine. So im lost from here. Im going to put my stock chip back in the ecu to rule the EBAY chip out. any other advice?
    You could have shorted a couple of the coils with quick temp change and/or water in the wells. Your syptoms sound exactly like mine when my coil went out.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

i took the plastic cover off an there was no water in the little holes. there were very little traces of water under tha plate so i dont think it could be that. but now that i think of it maby it is coil related because after driving it hard with it missing you smell that unburnd fuel smell from the exhaust. im not to worried about the missing as someone said that most of the time it works itself out now im worried that driving up at those high rpm's for a few minuts was bad for the motor... guess im just being paranoid

i agree its very likely that the coils fried...expensive lesson?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

the thing is water dind't get in there... I just hosed that part down... the hose dosn't have enough pressure (no more than driveing in the rain) so i think the problem is eltswair... my only guess is a connector that water got into... could any sensor cause it to miss like that?

EDIT: and what gets me is i drove it right after and it was fine... i drove it for like 30-40 minuts... it wans't untill the next day that it started doing this.

i guess ill start saveing for the bavauto "preformance coil set" isn't that the cheapest fix to coils? I wouln't mind spending the money if i knew it would fix it... is there any way to test it?

and again thanks for your guys help

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    i guess ill start saveing for the bavauto "preformance coil set" isn't that the cheapest fix to coils? I wouln't mind spending the money if i knew it would fix it... is there any way to test it?

and again thanks for your guys help
    beyond getting another set....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

all that was needed was a simple computer reset! runs fine now