GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: control arms nauseum

Default control arms nauseum

I know the know hows to remove the ball joints, but how to put them back on without the new ball joint spinning trying to tighten it? Seems a lot of downforce is needed to fully meet the torque settings required. help

one of the reasons I'm broke...

Quote Originally Posted by romeox929
    I know the know hows to remove the ball joints, but how to put them back on without the new ball joint spinning trying to tighten it? Seems a lot of downforce is needed to fully meet the torque settings required. help
    BigKriss and I just jack up the steering arm so it gradually pressures the joint with the weight of the car (just enough). Worked fine. Be careful not to lift the car off the jack stands and/or otherwise make it fall on you, a phat e34 and phlatter driver makes for a definate no-show on race day mate... Nick

ps- oh and be creful with your dust boots, sometimes they don't spin on the joint (I oiled mine with 2 drops of sewing machine oil and made sure they did- one of our arms wanted to rip the boot apart when the ball-joint's was twisted within the arm (as it does in operation), a contaminated joint would only have lasted lasted a 6 months on the car.. wrecking- so a boot means you will be doing it again be4 very long. Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 01-12-2006 at 03:39 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    BigKriss and I just jack up the steering arm so it gradually pressures the joint with the weight of the car (just enough). Worked fine. Be careful not to lift the car off the jack stands adn/or otherwise make it fall on you, phat e34 and phlatter driver makes for a definate no-show on race day mate... Nick
    which point on the car did you guys meet the steering arm to? TIA!

which point on the car did you guys meet the steering arm to? TIA!
    Strut
    V
    Thrust Arm
    V
    Steering Arm
    V
    Lower Control Arm
    V
    Jack

First nut to torque up was the LCA- that one is impossible to get to when you have the steering arm mounted up to the strut (the LCA thread is obscured by the strut as it sticks up through it). The three (3) mounting nuts torque to 83Nm (& be sure to use Nyloc on all the steering arm nuts, CA nuts inc.)). The CA nuts themselves are 83 or 110Nm, I can't remember sorry and should be self locking Nyloc-types also.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Strut
    V
    Thrust Arm
    V
    Steering Arm
    V
    Lower Control Arm
    V
    Jack

First nut to torque up was the LCA- that one is impossible to get to when you have the steering arm mounted up to the strut (the LCA thread is obscured by the strut as it sticks up through it). The three (3) mounting nuts torque to 83Nm (& be sure to use Nyloc on all the steering arm nuts, CA nuts inc.)). The CA nuts themselves are 83 or 110Nm, I can't remember sorry and should be self locking Nyloc-types also.
    not exactly the info I was looking for because I have the bentley manual. So how do you torque the LCA if it's impossible? thrust arm? sorry if I'm being difficult, but I can't justify going to the mechanic to pay him something I can do for free. again, thanks

not exactly the info I was looking for because I have the bentley manual. So how do you torque the LCA if it's impossible? thrust arm? sorry if I'm being difficult, but I can't justify going to the mechanic to pay him something I can do for free. again, thanks
    woops, I didn't make this clear- do not mount the steering arm plate to the strut before torquing the LCA nut- thus *not* obscuring the nut

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

so, which part of the car did you put the weight on the steering arm to torque the LCA/UCA?

so, which part of the car did you put the weight on the steering arm to torque the LCA/UCA?
    When everything was bolted up we put the car onto some ramps (enabling us to get to the control arm bolts) getting a final torque.

dude! use a nut without the self locking part on it and snug things together then use the self locking nut.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    When everything was bolted up we put the car onto some ramps (enabling us to get to the control arm bolts) getting a final torque.
    oh, I'm not talking about the bolts attached to the chassis, but the ones on the steering arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast