GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Interesting Quandry Advice sought (LONG)

Default Interesting Quandry Advice sought (LONG)

I posted this on Roadfly too - so forgive the redundant post but I am casting a wide net for thoughts on this challenge/opportunity/decision.

I was approached by my mechanic today. He was told by his wife he has "too many cars in the stable" and that he needed to "Thin the herd" in order to accomodate her Bathroom remodeling desires..... I have always coveted some of the cars in his collection especially his e34 M5.

I was intrigued to hear this from him. He has (2)e30 M3's in his collection. A 1989 Silver e30 M3 that was his first car and in pretty sweet condition as he only takes it out on sunny days - it normally sits in a corner of the shop reserved for his other cars.

The other e30 is a Red 1990 M3 he bought from a customer after the customer had all this custom work done to it. Gary my mechanic did the work for him. Custom Suspension; Rear End; and get this - an M52 M3 Motor swap. The M52 Motor was ported; Has Schrick Cams;and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember; Custom Exhaust; EMS and harness from the e46 it came from. It has dyno'ed around 410hp.

He also has a 2005 M3, 2000 X5 4.4; and a 1991 e34 M5.

My mechanic wants to see the Red e30 M3 to someone he knows so that he will maintain some sort of contact with the car and he is offering it to me. He wants to sell it to me for $17k with first right of refusal should l decide to sell it later. It has 67k Original Miles on the body tranny. The new engine has about 15k on it.

I told him that while it is an extremely tempting deal I would have to sell my e34 to make it happen. I have over $12k invested above and beyond the purchase price of the car 3.5 years ago. I have spent WAAAAY TOOO much on my hooptie. It has gone way beyond any good judgement at this point the $$ I have spent.

At any rate I mentioned that I would have to sell my car to do anything. He offered me $12k for it towards the e30. Now - I normally would not entertain this kind of an offer - And I know pretty much who he is going to flip my car to. There is another customer who frequents the shop that watched me have all the work done on the e34 that had expressed interest in it should I ever want to sell.

So - my car and $5k and I get the Red e30 M3.

Here's the question - assume that the m3 is in perfect garage queen condition - and then tell me if I should go for it.

I can come up with the Cash required. I can park it my garage and take it out on sunny days or to driving schools at Summit Point. And drive the e39 528iT I have been working on for my daily driver.

Would you do it if you were me? Talk me out of this as I have been seriously considering this for 2 days now. Your views, feedback, and counsel are appreciated. Thanks in advance - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

I'd be doing driving schools at Summit Point if I was you.
    Usually these cars will go for around that price with stock motor and low mileage- if the work was done right it's sounds like a good deal.
    Sorry, not going to talk you out of it, besides you still have a 5er in the stable

good luck- we should all have these tough decisions to make
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

IMHO, the car you have is nicer than that M3. Spend the 5k on a transmission swap and forced induction kit

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Personally I would stick with the 540i and forget about the e30.

If it had been an e46 M3 it might have been a different matter.

My tuppence worth.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Like the Sirens of Greek mythology, cars are always trying to lure us junkies into the rocks. Choices, choices, choices.

Personally, I have never been tempted to be an owner of a heavily modified car, i.e. the monster motor e30 M3. Though I marvel at the technical expertise and the talent to build these cars I don't think I'd want to own one. The factory M3 had 200 HP and when you stuff in an engine producing 2X I just think there's trouble lurking down the road. Things designed for 200 HP break with 410 HP.

In the beginning of your article you mentioned he had a 1991 e34 M5. It's maybe not the beast the e30 is but as a M5 owner, they can tell you they are a kick in the shorts! The power is addictive and I like the fact I can go to the local dealer or call BMA and easily get parts. See if he'll part with that. Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Ahh - you and I are thinking alike. The silver e30 M3 and the e34 M5 were off the table. I went for the M5 as soon as he was done "presenting" the offer.

He is selling the 2005 M3 and the 1990 M3. I agree with you completely however. -
    Jt
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

for me too the choice would be the m5.....
    Gone but not forgotten