GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing aftermarket window tint?

Default Removing aftermarket window tint?

Is it hard? I'm looking at a car that has it, unfortunately, my state is real tough on window tint and won't let me register it as is. If not a safe DIY then how much to have a pro do it?

state is connecticut if any locals have advice

thanks
    tim
    Last edited by tim; 01-10-2006 at 05:40 PM.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Ammonia & a bunch of New single edge razor blades, it still a PIA

if you can get some MEK its should get the glue off pretty easy. usauly they sell it at homedepo, but i would use some gloves because it's some really nasty stuff

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

what do you do about the bottoms of the windows just above the sills, and what about the rear window- don't you have to be careful of the defrost?

Thanks for the input so far.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

CT law is not that harsh... here is the link to your info.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CT/

According to this... 35% light transmittence is that thar dark... unless your car far exceed that...

If you would like to keep the tint... you can hire pro to do all your side windows and leave the rear window alone to save money... Usually to do all of them... about $200 will get you a very nice job with the latest tint technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    CT law is not that harsh... here is the link to your info.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CT/

According to this... 35% light transmittence is that thar dark... unless your car far exceed that...

If you would like to keep the tint... you can hire pro to do all your side windows and leave the rear window alone to save money... Usually to do all of them... about $200 will get you a very nice job with the latest tint technology.
    Probably even less for the 6 windows on the sides. I dont know if you have "Pro Image" where you are, but i know they do a good job for a reasonable price. Leaving the rear window alone would not only be cheaper, but also safer when considering the wires and antenna in the back window.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I've done it. A previous owner had a nasty tint job on the car and I removed it.

I did most of it with utility (aka Stanley) knife blades. I didn't use the plastic holder -- just the blades, in my hand. Start at the corner and scrape towards the middle. Ideally the tint and glue all comes off in one stroke, but it's not always that way. Lots of perseverance and patience with the blades (changing them fairly often -- about one blade per window) and it will eventually all come off. Ammonia cleaner (like Windex) will get off little pieces of glue residue. As long as you're patient you won't do any damage, and that blade will get ANYTHING off if held at the right angle with some pressure.

Near the sills it does get tricky, but you can get in there with the pointy tip of the utility blade. It just takes patience.

I didn't do the rear window. I left it, partly because I think it's alright, and partly because I was also worried about breaking the wires, as you are. You're on your own with that one Professional tinters will remove it for money, but they won't guarantee that your wires will stay intact.

You won't want to do it all at once. It took me about 4 hours all told, over the course of a week. But you certainly can do it yourself.

There are many methods out there that advocate using lots of ammonia, soaking the windows, or other elaborate tricks. They probably work, but they're messy and nasty. I didn't want to get into that, and in the end it everything worked out great.

Good luck.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Is it hard? I'm looking at a car that has it, unfortunately, my state is real tough on window tint and won't let me register it as is. If not a safe DIY then how much to have a pro do it?

state is connecticut if any locals have advice

thanks
    tim
    Tim,

Good news is that it is not very difficult, just time consuming. The bad news is that you are in NE and it is a bad time of year. The best approach is to spray down the inside of the windows with Ammonia. Next, take a black garbage bag and press it onto the windows. If you cut the bag in half it will stick easier. There should be enough ammonia to keep it pressed against the window. Next place the car in the sun to bake for a few hours. Then you should be able to peel off a good deal of the tint. Start in a corner and get an edge and it should peel pretty easily from there. The key is to let it bake for a while. If I were you I would look out for a couple days of warm weather and sunshine, I think later this week might be good. You may want to spray and sit and repeat on the next day. It works really well in the summer Also, make sure you are in a well ventilated area as ammonia is pretty tough on the body.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

I agree Rory, Scott E did this and yahood me as the progression took place, took about 3 days and he was on a mission, if I had money id pay to remove it on the rear window cause myself would probably get too frustrated and cut through the defrost and antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    Tim,

Good news is that it is not very difficult, just time consuming. The bad news is that you are in NE and it is a bad time of year. The best approach is to spray down the inside of the windows with Ammonia. Next, take a black garbage bag and press it onto the windows. If you cut the bag in half it will stick easier. There should be enough ammonia to keep it pressed against the window. Next place the car in the sun to bake for a few hours. Then you should be able to peel off a good deal of the tint. Start in a corner and get an edge and it should peel pretty easily from there. The key is to let it bake for a while. If I were you I would look out for a couple days of warm weather and sunshine, I think later this week might be good. You may want to spray and sit and repeat on the next day. It works really well in the summer Also, make sure you are in a well ventilated area as ammonia is pretty tough on the body.

Good Luck,
    Rory
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. evil
    if you can get some MEK its should get the glue off pretty easy. usauly they sell it at homedepo, but i would use some gloves because it's some really nasty stuff
    I would be REAL RELUCTANT about getting MEK anywhere near an interior of a car. Here's a description of it's properties: It dissolves many substances and is used as a solvent in processes involving gums, resins, cellulose acetate and cellulose nitrate. It is also used in the synthetic rubber industry, in the production of paraffin wax and in household products such as lacquer, varnishes, paint remover, a denaturing agent for denatured alcohol, glues and as a cleaning agent. It is used for synthesis of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, a catalyst for some polymerization reactions. It is highly flammable. I would hate to see what it would do to rubber seals and vinyl in an interior. It is also an irritant to the nose and throat in an enclosed environment. Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast