GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: japan only *525i*

Default japan only *525i*

Hi, im new to the forum and a newbie with Bmw's also. Seems like this is the best bmw forum right now for questions.

Anyways, im on my way to be purchasing a used 1990 525i. But this 525i is imported from japan. And when i saw it, it doesnt have leather seats, but cloth. I was wondering, arn't all 525i's suppost to be leather? Also, i do not know how a 525i sounds like, but when the car is in idle, it sounds very Low, almost like a honda s2000 bass low sound. Is this normal? or is there a problem with the exhaust?

Also, since is from japan, will the parts be different ?*soory such a dumb question, but just to double check*. The Engine is an M20 i believe.

Lastly, how reliable is the 525i? this car has only 74000km which is decent for a car from japan. I need to see if he has replaced his timing belt yet, cause if he hasnt, i think i need to replace it ASAP. But when should i replace all the filters and the fuel pump?

thanks.

anyone please help? im meeting with the guy tmmrw agian, and if everything goes well, i will buy it tmmrw.

thanks

Leather seats were an option like so many other things on non-US models. Yes, the exhaust definitely has some bass to it. If you want to compare, I'll get you a sound clip of mine tomorrow morning (sorry, too windy outside now for you to hear anything).

As far as reliability ... you have nothing to worry about. 74000km is just breaking in for that car. Mine is at 286000 km, and running perfectly, and I've seen them with over 400000 km.

As far as the timing belt, BMW recommends replacement every 80000 km, so go ahead and replace it right away, as it's very near. Also do the filters, just to be on top of the regular maintenance. Fuel filter is located next to the right rear wheel under the car, in case you don't know.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you stick around.

And post pics too. There can never be too many e34 pictures.

edit: Watch out for overheating, temp gauge should be at the middle mark or very close to it on either side.

thanks for the reply. Yah first thing when i cranked up the car was "wow, this sounds almost like an D1 import car*

Also, when i was testing it on a stright road, i floored the gas, but it seems the power slowly came. from 2000-35000rpm, the car doesnt seem to be pulling tat hard, but after tat u can feel the power. Is this normal? or fuel pump problem? *i say this cause the pedal was floored to the max*

Also, willl it be expensive to repaire the sunroof seal? the black seal is starting to crack, and i want to repair it before leakage.

And of course i will post pics of the car when i get it. cant wait

What else do you recommend replaceing? the owner has no clue what part has been replaced since his friend from japan gave it to him with no info what so ever. I checked it, seeems like no accidents, and engine looks very clean. But what should i replace once i get it so that i will keep the engine in tip top shape. Should i do a full fluid change?

Cars in Japan don't do a lot of km, just short-distance and traffic- so they tend not to maintain them as they can get away with it. Be very wary of the oil condition, what it looks like inside the oil cover and if any smoke is apparent in the exhaust on start and when kicking back a gear under load. I know a guy that imports cars from Japan, he said some never even had the oil changed in 8 years, barely comes out when he tries. Apparently having such work done in Japan costs 10x as much so people really avoid it.
    Also be aware of body damage/poor repairs. Welcome though- I hope its a good one and you can join us for the good times we have!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

If you haven't already, check out Bruno's site
    http://www.bmwe34.net
    Between that and the archives here you should be able to find out anything you need to know. Definitely do the timing belt right away because age also has an effect on it.

yah, i've read alot about repairing the E34 already, when i started the engine, everything seems fine.

The oil i havent checked yet, cause today i was just looking at the exterior mostly to see if any big damage. Im going to be taking it to a BMW dealer tomorrow and have them inspect it.

Things I think will need replacing after im buying the cars are. front/rear brake pads, timing belt and timing belt tensioner, fuel filter, water pump, and all the filters on teh car will be replaced.

ANyone recmmond what type of fluid i should use? Im planning on using a syntetic oil since this car is pretty old. But what kind of transmisson oil should i use? Also, should i change the coolant? or will it be fine?

Im really new to buying a used car, so I dont know what oil and parts to change or repair . Thanks for your help guys, really appriciate it.

hey my mate has a jap import 525i m20 far out it drones a honda with a huge exhaust. Nothing like mine which is very quiet
    from 2000-35000rpm, the car doesnt seem to be pulling tat hard, but after tat u can feel the power
    thats a normal old school BMW six. the 3.5L reputedly has more torque down low, but the smaller sixs i have driven all have the torque up high. Mind you my 2.8L m30 has more torque down low than my 2.5L M50 but it is slightly bigger

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

If you don't when the coolant was done last you should change it. Its supposed to be done every 2 years. Use BMW blue coolant only.

Don't worry about the power... there is simply none below 3500 rpm. A chip might help it a little (I'm sure you'll look into that later).

As for the sunroof seal ... we had to do it on my dads '91. Cost about 65 US dollars; not too hard of a job.

Other maintenance you should do:
    -timing belt
    -fuel filter
    -air filter
    -spark plugs (dont go platinum or anything, just regular old-fashioned plug)
    -water pump (if you have money laying around)

overall, its easily one of the more reliable e34 models; unfortunatelly, it lacks in power, as you already know.

oh, and valve adjustment, along with a new valve cover gasket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast