GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Won't fire

Default Won't fire

My neighbor came over this morning. Seems his '95 325 won't start. I took a look and it will turn over, but just won't fire. I know this is the "5" forum, but the M50 engine is the same.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything specefic, so I'm posting to ask for any suggestions. The history on this is, it had been running fine, until he went out to start it this morning. As I said, it turns over, but shows no sign of wanting to start.

Thanks in advance.

off the cuff I'd say fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

That's what I was thinking too. Is there a way to check?

Sure- find the place where the hose meets the fuel rail, and put a t-fitting with a gauge on it.

A git-r-done way might be to disconnect the fuel line, come up with a bucket or something to let the fuel spill into, and turn the key to position 2 quickly then shut off. The minute you turn the key, fuel should be coming out fast. Careful now!

Did the guy give you any other details? If it was a clogged filter, it would start, then die.

I'd check the fuel pump fuse, the relay, then the pump. Clean the contacts on the fuse and relay (you can pop off the cover) with electrical cleaner or stabilant or whatever. You should be able to hear the pump running from the trunk with the carpet removed when someone turns the key to pos. 2.
    Last edited by tim; 01-07-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks Tim...I asked him a stupid question, "got fuel"? Turned out, his son drove it last night, ran it out of gas and didn't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BILL
    Thanks Tim...I asked him a stupid question, "got fuel"? Turned out, his son drove it last night, ran it out of gas and didn't tell anyone.
    Darn Kids... :-)
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

this should go to bimmer nuggets...I didnt really think it could be this simple!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

about a month ago i got in a couple cars in the shop for service almost back to back that were out of gas, one was a 95 530 that i saw driven into the spot outside my bay, a few days later when it was it's turn to get worked on the ****er wouldn't start, after about 5 minutes of looking i pop a line and turn on the fuel pump with my scanner and nothing but bubbles, musta come in on vapor, the other came in on a wrecker (not a first). WHAT THE HELL IS WITH PEOPLE AND BRINGING IN CARS FOR SERVICE WITH NO GAS IN THEM damn near every car i work on is almost out of gas according to the gauge, some to the point i am afraid to test drive and if i gotta waste my time putting gas in your car you are getting charged out the ass for it!!!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I have the same problem, a number of them come in with the

low fuel light on and if i have to do any extensive test driving i end up buying gas and charging them for my time as well...I can't figure it out either.. Unless its a fuel pump change on an american car then i want it to come in as close to empty as i can get... especially a truck with a 40 gallon tank

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    about a month ago i got in a couple cars in the shop for service almost back to back that were out of gas, one was a 95 530 that i saw driven into the spot outside my bay, a few days later when it was it's turn to get worked on the ****er wouldn't start, after about 5 minutes of looking i pop a line and turn on the fuel pump with my scanner and nothing but bubbles, musta come in on vapor, the other came in on a wrecker (not a first). WHAT THE HELL IS WITH PEOPLE AND BRINGING IN CARS FOR SERVICE WITH NO GAS IN THEM damn near every car i work on is almost out of gas according to the gauge, some to the point i am afraid to test drive and if i gotta waste my time putting gas in your car you are getting charged out the ass for it!!!

yea i gotta diagnose a running problem with the fuel light on, great idea
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it